Tuesday, May 12, 2015

20 January 2015 -- Cheese clerk or cheese professional?

A note on D.O.P gorgonzola.

Denominazione Originale Protetta products are protected foods. These foods are protected by Italian law, with very specific guidelines on production and naming of food.

A list is here :


Whether I am at mobile traveling seller or standing in a market, I am always charmed watching the purchasing of fresh food in Italy. I enjoy and savor the interactions between the person behind the counter and their customer. 

When I speak wistfully of Italy, it is not from a tourist's point of view. I crave the life style and it's painful to live without a daily Italian experience. Yes, I do understand there are troubles and imperfections. 

I love the attention given to detaill. It is present in many aspects of life there.

At Gelson's I experienced the difference between an Italian grocer who takes pride in the food he presents for sale to the customer and an American grocery clerk. 

The first piece of gorgonzola which I purchased last week was of good quality. The day I bought it, I choose it from three similar packages, all on display in an open air cheese section. All had been sliced and packaged at the same time.

I returned to purchase another piece of Gorgonzola a few days later. The previous two packages were still sitting on their edges, in the refrigerated case. I should mention this case sits in front of the entrance doors. They open and close all day, forcing a constant breeze of outside air over the cheeses. 

That evening, I opened my newly purchased cheese. I could smell and see that it had spoilt, creating puffy pink spots. I dissected a dime sized spot with a knife. It was not merely on the surface. It extended all the way through. 

It was an inconvience, but I needed to return the bad cheese right away. I secured it in a small ice chest, with a ice block. Then on Saturday after Italian class, I drove back to Gelsons. 

Gelson's is a high end grocery store. The store manager told me to get a new piece without a second's hesitation.  He directed me to the cheese clerk. 

I was surprised the cheese clerk wanted to argue with me.

Him:  Oh! The pink is just the rind, he assured me. 
Me:  Really? In the center of the cheese? Touch it and smell it.

I suggested he look at the third and last package of gorgonzola, still sitting on its edge in a not very well chilled cheese case. It was clear, it too was spoilt. 

He wanted no more argument, but I know he was not convinced. He tossed the bad cheese into the trash and opened a fresh large block of Gorgonzola. I recognized the Italian packaging. He cut me an extra thick slice. It was double what I needed. A win-win situation I guess. 

If I had been in Italy, the grocer would have never told me the cheese was still good. The person behind the Italian counter is a proud purveyor of food, not a hired stock clerk.


No comments:

Post a Comment