Monday, May 25, 2015

20 May -- Wednesday in Firenze

I woke up with terrible nightmares on Wednesday. I can't remember ever having them here. Alessandro used to really hate it when I had these very bad dreams and he would try to gently comfort me to make me wake up. After these dreams, it used to take hours to get myself out of a groggy feeling. 

During our time together, my nightmares became less and less frequent. 

This morning, something very wonderful happened. I woke myself up and to find some quick comfort, I opened Facebook to let my mind relax. I read a 'My life after high school' biography of a childhood friend in a new group, just created to reconnect. I made a comment. I thought to myself, I need to do mine too. There are things I need to explain about those days.  Maybe then the nightmares will stop. 

Suddenly, a message came up on my screen, from Debbie T, a friend from elementary school and our Blue Bird scouting group. 'Is that really you?' She wrote?? And we caught up with our lives for a few minutes. 

Then the extraordinary message from D. as we said our goodbyes. She told me she lives in Florence, Oregon. I burst into tears. Because I knew my sweet attentive Alessandro was still comforting me after a nightmare. Alessandro had a special relationship with Florence, Oregon. I told D. she had just passed on a blessing to me. We both felt our meeting on-line was a gift in many ways.

It was time to face the day. It was stormy but still beautiful. First stop was Pandora to buy a simple bracelet, which had neen on my list. Now this bracelet as I wear it brings me feelings of more hope and love. 



I then went to Forno Becagli, which had been recommended by Alessio. I purchased a panino for an immediate lunch and two gifts of cookies. I bought some milk next door at Conad.  I ate while sitting on the stone circular bench in Piazza Carlo Goldini. 

And then I randomly walked, taking pictures. Later in the day I found 5eCinque on Via dello Sprone, near Santo Spirito and bought a piece of cecina (called farinata in Liguria). It was hot out of the oven. Yumm. I make this at home, but I needed to refresh my memory with an authentic piece. 

As I sat in the drizzle in a tiny piazza savoring my hot treat, I saw Quattro Leone diectly in front of me. It was a place  Alessandro and I used to eat, but I never knew where it was and had forgotten its name.  A coincidence? No!

At the end of the day, I bought yogurt and chocolate at the Conad near Ponte Vecchio. With the rest of the crowd, I watched the sun set. It had been a wonderful day filled with feelings of love. 

























No comments:

Post a Comment