Wednesday, May 20, 2015

19 May -- Civita

The schedule looked impossible this morning: check-out, walk to the edge of the city, take the Funicolare (7.15 first trip down) or walk the whole way down, in order to catch the Pullman to Bagnoregio at 7.50. That Pullman arrives at 8.40 and then one must take the 20 minute autobus ride to Civita. 

I missed the connection when I checked out at 8.00 after a sleepness night. I have allergies to most man made liquids and artifical foods. Italians have an obsession with cleanliness, which I agree with. But the harsher chemicals bring on asthma attacks. I'm so careful what I breath and eat. 

I escaped the hotel at 8 and made it down to the piazza at the base of Orvieto  at 8.45. The next Pullman was at 12.45. 

I pondered for 5 minutes and headed for the taxi stand for information. My Italian was in good shape. By taxi, the ride directly to Civita would take only 20 minutes. The advantages of having a car over public transportation! How much I asked. Quaranta euro. I repeated it back several times. This would save me 10€ an hour I rationalized. 10x4=40. 

I did it and at the end of the day it seemed like a bargain. 

I was standing in front of the gate to walk into Civita at 9.30 in the morning. There were no crowds but I wasn't totally alone.

I read only three houses are occupied year round. At this early hour I could hear the buzz of a cyclist as he ported supplies up to the town. I liked the company. 

At the end of the day, my FitBit counter showed 7,000 steps and 24 flights of steps! I noticed the residents are allowed motorbikes and Ape transports. Visitors' cycles and all cars are parked at the base of the walkway up. 

My day was magical. 

























No comments:

Post a Comment