Tuesday, May 12, 2015

22 April 2015 -- Applesauce Cake


I made this for my mom when I was visiting and she loved it. I did not glaze the cake. I used olive oil for the cake, but I did use butter to grease the pan. I made the applesauce by simmering cubed, peeled, cored apples with a little water and ground cinnamon. I let the applesauce cool before using it.  

The second time i made it at home and sprinkled diced pecans on the batter before baking. 

I substituted coconut sugar and white whole wheat flour. This cake was fabulous. 


Applesauce cake

½ C unsalted butter, softened  (or ¼ C olive oil)
1 ½ C flour
1 t baking soda
¾ t ground cinnamon
½ t plus 1/8 t ground cardamom or allspice
½ t salt
1 C firmly packed brown sugar  (or ¾ C coconut sugar)
1 large egg
1 C chunky applied applesauce  (home-made with 3 peeled apples)

Optional glaze:
2-3 T apple cider
1 ¾ cups powdered

Preheat oven to 350F.  Butter an 8-in round and dust with flour.  Then line with parchment paper.
Beat butter and brown sugar. Add egg. Whisk flour with other dry ingredients. Slowly add the flour and beat until just blended.  Stir in apple sauce.  Spoon batter into prepared pan.

Bake 50 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pan to wire rack.

May frost with glaze if you desire a lot of sweetness.


No comments:

Post a Comment