Thursday, May 14, 2015

14 May -- going home to my heart


I weighed in safely at LAX with one bag at 22.8 k., just short of the 23 kilo limit. About 48.3 pounds. I'm packed with a few clothes and lots of stuff. My bag contents are quilts, books, golf equipment, towels from Williams Sonoma, undies from Victoria's Secret, Ghiaradelli chocolate, a Star Wars treat, organic maple syrup, Christmas gingerbread men oven mits, tortillias, hibiscus tea and magazines. Oh and purple hair dye, which smells like concord grapes. It's tripled vaccum packed. Fingers crossed it does not leak. 

Most of my clothes are in a carry-on. I love Air France and they've never lost my luggage. But it has been misplaced a few times. I can't bear to wear dirty clothes. 

LAX has completely transformed itself from a run-down dark place to an International shopping mall. A duty-free mall! I even found my favorite Jo Malone perfume for sale. Well, I did buy a small Gucci pocketbook. I've been looking for a new wallet for several years. This one is perfect because it holds my iPhone too. 

Without sales tax, it made it an affordable luxury. 

The Supershuttle ride was fun. Our driver was a very nice older man. There were four women, including me. All traveling alone. I don't know where the Indian lady was going. She was tired and kept dosing off. The Candian was going home to Manitoba and the German was returning to Dusseldorf after a year working at Disney in Florida. The Canadian is heading to Germany soon to practice her German. I've never ridden the Shuttle with so much conversation. 

The food places and mall are behind the sercurity check point. I did get here early, but did not take the time to search too hard for food. I'm not sure the food court has been built yet. There is a huge wing under construction outside the window.  

Amazing but not surprising, I found a small feather just after leaving security. 

Everything is sparking new here and there are plenty of charging outlets right at the seats. The terminal reminds me of Charles de Gaulle with the super tall windows and sky lights. 

I'm so ready for this get away from stress. I loved the feeling of freedom when awoke this morning.  

People light up when I say I'm going to Italy. 'Oh! What are you going to SEE!!'

I can't explain I'm not going to SEE anything. I'm going to smell the air, feel the culture and imerse myself in the language with high hopes of improvement. I have plans to visit with family and friends I adore. I've got a shopping list of food I need to restock my pantry. I need to visit the cemetary and have a little picnic there. I'm looking forward to finding the new book by Angelo Petrosino, Valentina da Grande. I want a panino di trippa from my favorite stand at the Mercato. I'm looking forward to a hot chocolate at Vestri. I want to go grocery shopping with my family at IPER. I want to see the new babies and children of family and friends. 

In short, it feels like going home. I am so grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment