Saturday, May 16, 2015

16 May -- I have a shopping list for Firenze


I woke up rested and without stress this morning. Last night I put breakfast yogurt and milk out on the sill, just as I have done for 10 years. This morning, something different happened to me. Normally, I am in the room one window down to my left  We have diagonally facing windows with a commercial kitchen. This morning as I reached for the yogort at 6.30, a cook was waving to me like I was an old friend. I wonder if my outdoor chilling spot has generated some curiosity in the past. The wave was very welcoming. 



When I arrived yesterday, I found Alessio and Asumi had left me a gift of a good good pasta brand and a beautifully wrapped purple package of pastries. I opened them for breakfast. The perfect gift for a foodie like me. 

What a delicious breakfast I had. 

I had mentally mapped out my shopping for today. I'm too tired to visit a museurm. I like to get my shopping done right away so I can enjoy my days undistracted. 


I headed toward Santo Spirito to add money to my Italian phone and to check on the mercato. Sometimes the copper and brass seller is in the piazza. I was unsuccesful but enjoying the ambiance! 


I couldn't charge the phone, there were limited vendors in the piazza. I was surprised to see my normal forno replaced with a different name.  I loved their bread. 

I worked my way back toward the Pitti Palace. I saw shoes last night. I can't find comfortable shoes to buy where I live.  I've gotten used to good Italian shoes.  

On my shopping list: shoes! I saw Ferragamo shoe prices last night while window shopping. They are out of my price range now. I'll care for the several pair I own. 


I bought those adorable comfortable made in Firenze shoes which I had seen in the window. They're a little too nice to wear to work, but just right to wear to Saturday Italian class. 



I started the day in a sweater and shirt with leggings. I came straight back home to change. I was burning up hot.


As I left the hotel again, in cooler clothes, I saw something that has been on my want list for years. It's the reason I always look for the copper seller. What I saw hanging was just right but the price tag was missing. It's an antique. I know how much it should have been. I'm not sorry I hid my jump for joy. The proprietor's wife clearly underpriced it. This tiny shop is the neighbor to my hotel. I usually am waited on by her gruff husband. He never seems to recognize me, after all these years. The shop sells an amazing array of things, from fresh panini to water. Last year I bought my olive wood cutting board here. 



I made a detour to a new tendy bookstore in Edison's previous location. I found the book 'Valentina da Grande'.  My shopping list is getting shorter. 


It was close to lunchtime so I headed toward Borgo San Lorenzo, which had a recent cleanup. All the vendor wagons which used to crowd the streets were relocated. The entire neighborhood has changed. This area was the home of the Medici family. They are all buried here in the church and chapel. The church, which used to be surrounded by litter and trash containers now instead has new terra cotta planters with cheerful white flowers. It was a great facelift. Chiesa San Lorenzo never had a facade installed by the Medicis. They never wanted to spend the money. The church is very humble and plain on the outside. 

I couldn't take a picture. Tour groups were everywhere. I noticed Benneton has moved from the area and in its place is a grocery store. 

I stopped at my favorite dvd store and bought 3 movies and got a 4th free. Check off movies from my list. 



I changed my mind at the last minute and bought a yummy panino of stracchino cheese and proscuitto. I didn't get my camera out fast enough. The counterman grabbed a large ham and sliced the proscuitto, just for me, two full slices.  3.50€ for a simple wonderful sandwich. I picked focaccia for the bread. It was 1.15 and I sat alone at the counter to savour the treasure. Suddenly, the place was packed with mothers and children. Italians! Each child got their own panino, child sized and made to order. No mayonaise insight. Those children were hungry. I need to stay here totally immersed. I struggled to understand the children. They speak so fast! My time is coming. 



Next stop Mercato Centrale. On the list: oregano. It comes still on the stem from Sicily. The fragrance is amazing. Alessio had a long talk with me about oregano. Put a pinch on salad or panino for a bit of extra flavor.







I wanted to check the new upstairs food area. I ascended the stairs and wow. It's been transformed into a in place to be. It was packed solid with mostly locals, including lots of children. The food looked amazing.  There was a man  pushing a fresh mozzerella cart. I visited my first Etaly store. From a small cookbook store I bought a tiny purse sized copy of Pellegrino Artusi's cookbook, written in 1891. It's the bible of Italian cooking. 




Last on my list for today: walking shoes. I learned from my family to go to the pharmacy to purchase the essential comfortable walking shoe. I saw these shoes yesterday, as I passed pulling my bag.  Sadly, all the Dr Schol's are now made in China. 

My feet were very thankful all afternoon. I paid 68€ and they are made in Italy. 


The stocking store only carries seasonal undergarments this time of year. 

My bag was filling up, but I did have room for a pastry from another forno.  

It rained lightly off and on all afternoon. I was able to stay dry by dropping into several book stores. I'm looking for a book which was recently published by the mother of one of Alessandro's students.  I'm still looking. 

I waited in queue at the Vadafone store and charged my Italian phone with 5€. I was relieved to find my phone number still belongs to me. Big big hug of thanks to friend Sara B for charging my phone last November. I still owe her 10€ 

After a rest at the hotel, with a shopping bag in hand, I crossed Ponte Vecchio to the Conad market. It's not trendy but a lot of singles shop there. The food is top quality. I saw the fresh basil and knew what I would have for dinner. Next, I found the small tins of organic extra virgin olive oil. I queued for my turn to buy fresh buffalo milk mozzerella. I chose two vine ripened tomatoes. 


At check-out I paid 12€ for everything, including two liters of water, milk, yogurt, two apples and crackers. 




The bag was heavy. I strolled home and took pictures of the sunset from Pontr Vecchio. There was a crowd of people out enjoying music and the nice weather. All the jewelry shops were shuttering for the night. It was 7.30, time to get home for dinner at 8. 




I've adjusted to Italian time. I prepared my dinner. I checked the time. Exactly 8 o'clock. Dinner was phenomenal. The ingredients and food here are of the best quality, even before they are made into a meal. 




Buona notte

Steps today -- 14,340






 

No comments:

Post a Comment