Wednesday, May 20, 2015

19 May -- Return to Firenze

It's always such a relief to be back in my charming peaceful place in Firenze. Hotel Cestelli is heavenly. My little pig travel pillow was tucked in as usual when I arrived last night. I had left all my things here while I traveled to Orvieto. 



I slept 12 hours again last night. It's due to a combination of jet-lag, letting go of the stress I arrived with and the exercise. 

Yesterday, after walking down the path from Civita, I waited only 10 minutes for the local bus to arrive. These buses run like clockwork. Don't believe anything you hear about sloppy transportation schedules here. It's not true. 

So, a few minutes after we began the assent to Bagnoreggio, a woman stepped out, from the left of the street and walked with a sultry look, right in front of us. She was dressed for a date with hair, make-up and lipstick. It was 12.30. I was the only passenger. The bus drivers here can have a certain air about them and he calmly brought the bus to a stop. The doors opened and she took the seat in front of me, the seat closest to the driver. 

She flirted and talked for the next 10 minutes. When the bus came to a halt, I assumed this piazza stop was my destination. I've learned to always ask. I waited for the woman to take a breath but in the end I needed to interrupt. The look she gave me! As if this were a social event and I was intruding. I love this culture and the interpersonal dances I sometimes glimpse. This was not the first time I've seen on-board flirting. 

The driver waved his hand vaguely at my question, indicating the Pullman stop was over there. Near the stairs, I asked sweetly? Poor guy followed me off the bus to give me better directions. I so wanted to look back at the woman. She really liked that driver. 

The Pullman arrived on time and I used the 3 € ticket I had purchased yesterday. Taking the taxi to Civita was an excellent decision and it did gave me back four hours of travel time. 

The timing was right to catch an earlier train back to Firenze. I had to wait to validate my ticket. A young boy in a red cap was getting his picture taken as he proudly validated his ticket. Then another child appeared and the scene was repeated. I love these encounters with normal life here. I later snapped quick pictures from outside on the binario. 



I napped and read during the ride back to Firenze. 



The area around Chiesa Santa Maria Novella has been improved with roses. It's a lovely piazza now. 


After dropping off my overnight bag and the new bag of books, I walked, just enjoying the light and beauty. 

Did I say I carried my bag and new books all the up to Cività and back. I couldn't pass up books I found in a bookstore in Orvieto. It's impossible to buy Italian novels in California, unless I order from Amazon.it and the shipping is costly. 





Dinner in my room tonight from a little store on Via San Frediano: pappa al pomodoro and a slice of torta made by the owner's wife. He was so proud to tell me that. 





No comments:

Post a Comment