Monday, May 25, 2015

21 May -- Meeting Friends

This morning at 10.30 I had an appointment to meet someone in front of the farmacia at SMN. She is the sister of Roberta, one of Alessandro's students. She has kindly offered to pick up a baby quilt which I made. I thanked her for her trouble with one of the purple wrapped pastries I bought yesterday. 

The station was humming with travelers as I purchased tickets for Friday's trip to Cremona. The trip up has the usual connections while the return trip is a little strange. I will need to go further north, up to Milano and then back south. The return train is the high speed Frecciarossa.



The Thursday flower market was in full bloom. I bought a purple English Geranium for Asumi. She loves flowers. 



I had time to window shop until a 12.00 coffee break with Andrea and his ragazza. Alessandro helped Andrea with his college graduation thesis. This was after Alessandro had been diagnosed with multiple myeloma and during the period Alessandro was wearing a back brace. Andrea missed going on a trip with the 'Italians in the Gold Rush' project students. Those future trips never took place. 





They are a charming couple. He is a writer, as are his mother and sister. We've been FB friends.  I helped with some English corrections on several of his travel writings. I missed his mother's book signing last November, but today I have two of her latest books.  They are mysteries and I can't wait to read them. 



We said our goodbyes at 1.00.  I went alone to get lunch. Andrea's work day begins at 2.00. 

This sausage and gorgonzola calzone was excellent. A woodburing stove is the secret. 



I ate my calzone back at the hotel and packed my bag for tomorrow's trip to Cremona.  
 

I walked through town to have 8.00 dinner at Stefano's home. He prepared a really beautiful wonderful meal. Paola, his girlfriend joined us. His father would be so proud of the man has grown into and the choices he is making in his life. 









At 10.30, I walked back to the hotel. It's a peaceful and safe place to be at this time of night, although Stefano was prepared to drive me back.  Many restaurants and gelato shops were still open and I enjoyed the 20 minute stroll. 



No comments:

Post a Comment