Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tuesday, traveling to Cremona


On the train for Milano, my bags are in the corridor and the husband of an older ltalian couple is occupying my assigned seat. I'm in the right car and the correct compartment. Tutto a posto. Everything is ok. I have taken the only seat left of 6 spots, which is facing forward for the ride. I validated my ticket and it's in my pocket. Normally they check for a valid ticket after Bologna, where there's always a crowd getting on and off.


I called Rosa last night and she checked the Internet. I had 7 minutes to make the 11.24 connection at Piacenza. Since we're already 10 minutes late, I can relax, knowing I'll have plenty of time to catch the connection to Cremona at 1.10. I know where the elevator is at the Piacenza station, so it will be easier after all.

8.50 and we're on our way. The scheduled departure time was 8.35. The taxi arrived within moments of Alessio's call for my ride. Cost 10€ for a 10 minute ride to the train station.


I'm hoping there is no snack cart in 2nd class. I'm not sure where I would move my luggage. This carrozza (carriage/car) is packed and others have left their luggage in the aisle as well. There are overhead racks in each compartment for stowing smaller carry-on bags and coats.

Wow. The Capotreno (Main Conductor) just made an announcement of our destinations and I understood every word. The train is underway, so it's too late if one was just realizing this was the wrong train. I always check with a fellow passenger before I board, just to be 100% certain.

I could not fall asleep last night. With only six hours of sleep, I'm a little worried I might fall asleep so I've set my alarm clock to go off at the Parma stop.

First stop Prato.

In my compartment we have two people sleeping, the older married couple reading the morning newspaper and a young girl typing homework in English on her netbook computer.

9.40 and I heard the ring ring of the snack cart's bicycle bell. I pushed one bag into our door entrance and then had to drag the second bag down to the next available door, two compartments down, and then flatten myself up against the corridor.

The attendant could just squeeze by. I imagine he encounters this rearranging every day He was friendly about the inconvenience. 10.05 pausing at Rastignano and the Snackman is back! This time he asked a young man in the next compartment to pull the fatter bag into his compartment door. With a 'Signora, non preoccupare'' he told me not to worry. Nice, very nice.

10.09 Bologna and the older couple and one sleeper depart. I took my assigned seat: Carrozza 7, seat 71. As I ate my babá and a bit of cheese for breakfast, three new people quickly took their seats. Glad I moved.

10.33 Modena and a call from Marina to check my arrival time in Cremona. Fantastic, I can understand every word. A call from Leo, too. Yesterday's visit lifted his spirits. We need to find a more comfortable place to visit next week. I suggested one of the salons in a Five Star Hotel. They won't kick us out.

10.40 and our tickets have just been checked.

Reggio Emilia: Outside, there are freshly tilled fields. The earth is dark chocolate brown, with a bright shining sun and clear blue skies.  Corralled horses, dairy cows, vineyards, barns stuffed full with rolls of golden hay, an old house with a tumbled in tile roof, rows of green cabbage.

11.00 Parma and someone is playing music with a nice beat. 2nd class is friendly and not so .. Stuffy.

Several small rivers, a four lane autostrada (freeway) which now splits off to Spazia and Cremona and then disappears from view. Orange persimmons hanging from leafless trees, rows of dried corn stalks, farm houses and an IKEA warehouse.

11.30 Piacenza -- I always pull the luggage into position about 15 minutes in advance, hoping the door I'm standing in front of will open on the platform! I know where the green open button is. I think getting off the train is like knowing your spot in a sheet of music. Went the train stops, there can be no hesitation in getting off.

Here a man pulled my bags off the train for me before he boarded. I'm always thankful for the help. I am now wearing my movers brace under my coat.


The down elevator is out of service here in Piacenza but the up one was not. A girl took down one bag for me and I carried the second one. On Binario 8 there are two of us waiting for the little local train into Cremona. I recognize her from Firenze because she's carrying a Yamaha keyboard in addition to luggage.

I like to be early...we have a 45 minute wait.

There's a chilly wind, but I'm standing in the warm sun wearing a coat, hat, gloves and scarf. It's colder here than it was in Firenze.

On the tiny train heading to Cremona. It's only two cars long and filled mostly with students. I rode all the way in the space between the two cars. It's only a twenty minute ride.

Received a text message from my friend Laura. She is not in Rome. I need to change my plans and cancel the hotel reservation. Not sure what I will do. I would prefer to be in Firenze and make several day trips out.

Cremona and Marina is waiting outside for me. I'm sure Primo, her husband is nearby with the car.

I can't wait to see my Italian family!

No comments:

Post a Comment