Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sunday morning in Firenze with rain

After sleeping 13 hours, I wasn't a bit tired this morning. I was warned several times yesterday that today, probably in the afternoon, there was to be a real downpour.

At 10.45, I was ready for the weather: dress, leggings, rain boots, rain purse, sweater, cashmere coat, hat, umbrella and my raincoat in travel bag on my shoulder. As I passed by Ponte Vecchio I stopped to catch a picture of its muddy waters.

Since it was only drizzling I took Bus 37 up to the town of Galluzzo, hoping to find the Sunday flea market. I checked with the bus driver to be sure I was on the correct bus. As the bus made its way into the hills, I stood and watched the scenery pass by,  wishing I had a car and the freedom of time and money.

I've taken this trip three other times. I thought I knew where I was going. The bus had made a stop, but didn't resume. I looked up as the driver leaned out of this enclosure. He was talking. Suddenly three older women were also talking. And they were all looking at me. "Excuse me? I didn't understand." ( Mi scusi? Non ho capito). They were saying: 'You wanted Galluzzo? This is the stop.'

I thanked them all and jumped off the bus. As the bus took off I realized I had no idea where I was. I could not see the piazza nor the little hamlet. I was on a country road and it was raining. Not a soul or car in sight.
I do like adventure but rain takes the fun out of it.

I walked forward a few blocks. I saw some houses but it was clear this was the edge of town..the far edge.
I turned back. A few minutes later I came upon an elderly woman.

Me:  'Is this Galluzzo?'
Her:  'Oh yes!'
Me:   'Where is the Piazza?'
Her:  She pointed up the street.  'Go to the first street and turn right. You'll see the Piazza.'

Thank goodness for years of learning the basics of Italian. I had no problem asking or understanding her response.

I did find the Piazza but it was just a piazza today...no mercato was setup. I was so hoping for a trippa panino (tripe sandwich) for lunch.

I'm still puzzled as to why the bus route has changed each time I've made the trip. I spotted a return bus but the driver bypassed right on by the marked shelter (where four men were having a happy Sunday morning conversation).

When the bus passed me by (and I recognized the driver from last May) I reacted quickly.

I saw the bus was caught at a red light. Remembering my similar experience last May, I quickly walked to the next stop around the corner. The bus and I arrived at the same moment. I hopped on and then waited for what I knew was coming....the end of the line (Capolinea) and a 10 minute break for the driver.




When the bus came to a stop and the driver turned off the engine, I jumped off the bus to take pictures.  I think then, the driver may have recognized me. This is the third time we've taken this break together in the last two years.




I rode the bus only as far as Porta Romana, the huge old doors to Firenze, dating back to times when it was walled. I know a grocery store nearby which is open on Sundays.  There, I purchased spices, Farro-Porcini soup mix, a Pondora Christmas bread (in a reusable tin), yogurt for breakfast and puffed chocolate farro cereal.





 I walked back toward Firenze in drizzle, still waiting for the downpour. Passing by a Rosticceria (roasted meats) I saw my favorite pork roast in the window. For lunch in my room, I took away a slice of pork, oven roasted potatoes and crispy fried baby artichokes. Total cost 5€



Continuing toward town, I noticed the Organic Mercato was setup in Piazza Santo Spirito. Just what I was hoping to see! I found an olive wood breadboard. My shopping list is getting shorter. Now I only need a few more items, including a Pinocchio for my mother.

I received a text message from Emiliano's wife Caterina with an invitation to have tea around 4. After lunch and a rest, I walked to their home in the San Ferdinando Quartiere.

I had made and brought a quilt for Grazia a darling baby girl who is 5 months old. What a cutie pie. I wish Leo had been well enough to visit them with me.

It was a surprise to meet Emiliano's mother, brother, sister-in-law and their two young daughters. My Italian unfortunately is not good enough to understand lots of people talking fast. I need a few months here, immersed.

I left at their home at 6 pm and paused to buy a large babá at their neighborhood bakery. Cost 1.5 €


During my walk to Emiliano's, I noticed a banner for three day showing in the Palazzo Corsini, located right on the Arno River. The free exhibit was closing tonight at 7.30. I knew I had missed the once a year Garden Antique Show in May. At 6.45 I entered and passed through five rooms which had paintings and other works of art on display.

I was most interested in looking at the ceilings and walls. Photographs were not allowed but I took one from the outside.


I ended my day with a phone call to Rosa. Apparently the big storm is hitting us tomorrow.

After a nice Babá snack I can sleep peacefully here. I love this hotel. It's small, spotlessly clean, safe and personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment