Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tuesday, Firenze

I bought two contemporary films yesterday at Ricordi Media store. I have to pay full price at this shop, but it's nice to have several newer more famous movies. I have a frequent buyer card good here and at Feltrinelli book stores. That's it for my buying. I have no more room in my suitcases. The books and films will last me until my next trip.

The films I bought:

Il Commissario Montalbano:  La forma dell'acqua
Il Commissario Montalbano:  Il cane di terracotta
Il Commissario Montalbano:  La voce del violino
Il Commissario Montalbano:  La luna di carta
Il Commissario Montalbano:  La pazienza del ragno

(Federico Fellini) La Dolce Vita
(Gabriele Muccino) Baciami Ancora
(Paolo Virzi) La prima cosa bella
(Frederico Moccia) Scusa ma Ti Voglio Sposare
(Rocco Papaleo) Basilicata
(Paolo Virzi) Tutta la vita davanti
(Francesca Archibugi) Lezioni di Volo
(Valerio Mieli) Diece Inverni
(Cristina Comencini) Bianco e Nero
(Gabriele Salvatores) Happy Family

Operas:

(Puccini) Gianni Schicchi
(Puccini) La Boheme
(Puccini) Il Tabarro
(Ruggiero Leoncavallo) Pagliacci

I am hoping hoping I don't have to give up the Nutella at the airport. I have three jars and they are so heavy. Too too bad.

I walked to the Mercato Vecchio (The Old Market) and as I entered I saw a stand selling panini with trippa. I was ready for lunch but I held off another hour while I browsed and took pictures. I love this market. There are so many colors of spices, oils, meats, breads, pastries, fruits and vegetables.






I searched for and found a small bottle of white truffle oil for my friend Velma. I saw a display of fresh truffles, both white and black. Prices were not posted. I guess if you have to ask, you can't afford them! They are very very costly. In Italy, specially trained dogs search out these edibles, which grow underground.


At the cafe counter paid 3€ for my sandwich. I took the receipt to the area where a man was slicing and chopping cooked meats. I asked for trippa with a spoonful of both the green sauce and the hot red sauce. He prepared and wrapped my panino (sandwich) as I watched.

I carried my delicious treat back to my hotel room to enjoy. When Alessio saw what I had he said 'oh! You are a true Florentine!'



I met Leo this afternoon at 3.30 at our normal meeting spot. It's a close drive from his house. When I got into the car, he was sucking on a white cigarette like stick...pain medicine. Right away, he said 'Che brutto tempo!!' (what terrible weather).

I've done some research on cancer patients, so I was not surprised when he began to talk about his pain and the bad weather. My hope, however, was to draw him out into some positive discussion of other topics. I had brought along an article about why people travel and how it changes them. We sat in the car for several hours, talking. Then, we went into a local 'bar' to enjoy a snack.

We found a comfortable nook and ordered a cappuccino for Leo and hot milk for me. We decided to take pasties too: a glazed donut for Leo and a small slice of apple strudel for me. Cost 11€.



We sat and talked right up to 6.15! During that time, I watched his face relax and his mind was active and alert, as we discussed various topics. He quickly transformed into the Leo I love the most.

This Monday, Leo used his Air France frequent flyer miles to reserve a flight in business class to California in June 2011, with complimentary handicap help. Cost was 350€ to pay airport fees. The tickets are good for one year. The fee is refundable if necessary to cancel.

He told me his wife was not pleased with his decision to travel. But he needs to have something to look forward to! Several months ago, he told me she was supportive of his wish to return to California. I had my doubts at that time.

We talked about how she enjoys taking care of him and she only makes short trips out to the market. She is very good at making sure his medicines are taken on time and preparing meals. I am more than a little concerned that she actually enjoys him in this dependent state. He told me she is a 'mamma' and this is a big help to him. A 'mamma' is not a wife. He knows how I feel about this. Nothing can be changed at this point. I can only support him with love, from a distance. It's not easy to be separated from him. We never ever intended to find love together. Love is good and positive.

I look into the faces of so many older Italian women and I am saddened to see so much unhappiness. I asked Leo, why it is so. He tells me, yes he notices this too. Why why? Perhaps it's a thesis topic for one of his students ...

Leo paid our bill and walked back to me with a big smile, holding a bag of chocolate Baci (kisses) candies. He had chemo therapy on Monday, so I'm afraid to kiss him and transfer germs. We're kissing on the face and with chocolates instead. Nothing has changed between us. After so many years, our connection is as strong as ever.

Leo drove off in a very very good state of mind. I hope he sleeps well tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment