Monday, November 22, 2010

Monday, Firenze

I'm all packed and ready to leave for Cremona on the morning train, leaving from Santa Maria Novella at 8.30. I bought tickets this morning, using the automated machine at the station. It's easy and I can make my selections without rushing. It also eliminates standing in the long line at the main ticket counter. One can use cash or credit cards. I paid 24 € for a one way ticket. First class was 36 € but I prefer second class. I've noticed nuns, priests, business people travel in first class. The gypsies also pass through first class. So I'm crediting myself with a 12 € savings toward the second pair of boots I bought today.

I've seen these boots twice here while window shopping and decided to try them this afternoon. I prefer rubber soles for comfort and stability in the rain. My favorite boots are three years old and have felt a little slippery this trip.

These boots are French Mephisto brand. I've never been successful finding boots in Cremona and those in the US are less durable than these here, which are made to be worn in rain and snow. Cost: more than I wanted to spend, but they will last me many years and now I can stop looking and enjoy a vacation.

I'm leaving three shopping bags here at the hotel. Thank goodness I can do this, otherwise I would have had to do all my shopping when I return, a week from Thursday. These three bags will fill one of my luggage to the weight limit. I'm not worried because I only have a few more things on my list and I came light with clothes this time. Jeans weigh too much so I only have two pair and I'll wear one pair home.

The dresses and leggings work out much better anyhow. I prefer to not in casual clothes here. It rained more today than yesterday but I never saw it pouring down. It was sunny for two hours this afternoon.

I walked to the train station this morning and stopped along the way at the Santa Maria Novella Farmacia. Just looking this time. As I walked across the piazza in front of Chiesa Santa Maria Novella I noticed an honor guard posted outside the church entrance. They were wearing the hat similar to the one we associate with Napoleon Bonaparte. A police station shares the building and courtyard with the church-pharmacy complex. I really wanted to capture the scene with my camera, but I held back.
Leo called to say he was not feeling well enough to come out in the rain. I was disappointed but illness takes precedence.

I had wanted to see the exhibit 'Bronzino -- Artist and Poet at the Court of the Medici' at Palazzo Strozzi so I walked there. I'm not sure why I received a discount: 7.50 € instead of 10 € for entry. I always carry my Drivers License because one must leave it or a passport to use the Audio Guides. Cost 5 € and always worthwhile.

I saw some fabulous paintings and portraits today. Over 90 pieces in all. 29 from the Uffizi Gallery here and others on loan from Canada, Australia, USA, Russia, Britain, France, Germany, Spain and Hungary. Bronzino was known for his 'naturalness and ... icey aristocratic splendor' in painting the Medici family.

I feel so blessed to be here to enjoy these fantastic paintings. I spent two full hours, going at my own pace and sometimes listening to the audio guide two times. In the last room, I looked out the window and the scene was as gorgeous as any painting.

I saw the Botticelli 'blue skies' of Firenze with the glittering golden dome of Brunelleschi's Duomo. I quickly approached the room attendant to ask permission to use my camera. My picture doesn't quite capture the beauty of that moment...

Just as I left the exhibit Leo called. With the sun shining, he decided he could drive out and pick me up. We had two nice hours together with a little walking and then ending with a hot chocolate for me and a cappuccino for him. I want to send in the Marines for him. Enough said.

I enjoyed a nice dinner in my room tonight. Earlier today I bought some sheep's cheese and three small dried sausages made of wild boar from the minuscule shop next to my hotel. Tonight I returned there to buy a slice of fresh bread and the nice proprietor wrapped it up and gave it to me gratis -- free.

He said, 'you can't eat cheese without a bit of bread' ... and he was right.

1 comment:

  1. I love knowing you are there. Enjoying your blog so much. Soak up every moment. Have fun with your family in Cremona.

    ReplyDelete