Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Monday, Cremona to Firenze

Mattia and Rosa drove me to the station at 8.10 for an 8.40 departure. I validated (time-stamped) my ticket immediately.

An attendant passed by and told Mattia the train to Pisa had been cancelled, apparently due to an accident between a car and the train. We got in line at the ticket counter.

The attendant was not happy to see my ticket had already been stamped. These 'used' tickets cannot be refunded.

With Mattia's help I was re-ticketed to Piacenza and then to someplace called Faenza, where I was to get off and take the train to Firenze, 11 minutes later. I requested Bologna instead of Faenza but the attendant said 'not possible.'

I strapped on my mover's back brace to move my luggage but Mattia insisted on helping me. He asked a train attendant to assist me in Piacenza and was assured 'oh yes'

As the train left the station, I knew the nice attendant would not be helping me. He was the train engineer! Here, people are always quick to offer help but unless it's family, I have learned from experience that the nice expressions of help don't always lead to any action. They mean well and want to be of assistance.

I always carry a map of Italy in the outside pocket of my luggage. I could tell by the size of the print that Faenza is not a metropolis. I also noted I needed to get off in Piacenza and take the train marked to 'Ancona' a city on the opposite coast from Pisa.

I turned on my iPhone. It's expensive to use here, but indispensable when there's a need for information. I knew for certain the 'Ancona' train stopped in Bologna. I checked the website for trenitalia for the scheduled Bologna to Firenze run. If I exited in Bologna I would be in Firenze at 12.30. If I went on to Faenza I would arrive at 2.15 in Firenze.

On the platform in Piacenza I weighed my options. The Bologna to Firenze train was actually the train going onto Rome..the really fast train. It still seemed a better choice to me, but why did the ticket agent tell me it was not possible to take this train?

I boarded the train to Ancona. About 20 minutes from Bologna, Leo called. I explained my quandary. Without hesitation, he said get off in Bologna! He could not understand why I was headed toward Ancona and Faenza was way out of my way.

Just before I exited in Bologna, sweet Rosa texted me to make sure I was on the train to Faenza. I texted back..'getting off in Bologna.'

In Bologna I checked the schedule on the platform once again. Within 10 minutes the train to Rome arrived and I got on. I stayed standing with my bags, in the baggage area, located near the doors. When the Capotreno checked my ticket, I politely explained why I was an unscheduled passenger on his train. Perhaps because I had not taken a seat it was ok. He didn't seem displeased with me.

We arrived in Firenze within 30 minutes and two hours earlier than my original ticket.

Marina called to make sure I had made the connection in Faenza. I told her I was already in Firenze.

It was a clear nice day, so I walked and pulled my bags to the hotel. Alessio and Asumi had left candies and fresh tangerines in my room, along with my three shopping bags which I had left last week.



I spent the afternoon repacking my bags, purchasing Pinocchio for my mother and washed my clothes at a nearby laundromat. I strung my laundry to dry in my room, using a sturdy cord which I always pack.

Then I relaxed, had Clams and Spaghetti for dinner and took an evening walk around town.







No comments:

Post a Comment