Friday, November 19, 2010

Friday, November 19

The flight from LAX to Paris went so quickly. As usual I did not eat anything on the plane and I slept the entire way, only waking up once for a drink of water. I was seated near an elderly couple who were quiet and also slept. I love having the window seat. I just curl up and I'm not disturbed. During our night I felt the sun's warmth on the outside of the plane and I was lulled right back to sleep. Almost like sleeping on the beach in the summer with Leo.

Our connection was delayed by an hour so I had time to wander around the shops once I made my way to Terminal 2G. Each time I land at Charles deGaulle the transfer path is different. I always hurry along, never knowing what obstacle I might encounter. My carry-on bag was searched in Paris, but I did get through LAX without the secondary body scan or pat down.

In 2G I bought a cup of rice pudding with apple-raspberry compote. It was really yummy. Made with cream I think. I took a picture before savoring it.

There was light ran in Firenze when we arrived at 6 pm. I decided not to save money and took the taxi rather than the city bus. My bags arrived with me and that is always a treat. Just in case, I bring extra clothes and boots in my carry-on and enough cosmetics to last several days. Even though AirFrance provides a voucher to purchase necessary items for misplaced luggage, I hate wearing dirty clothes. So now I come prepared for the possibility of arriving without my bags.

I texted Leo to let him know I had arrived and joined the queue waiting for taxis.

The taxi driver was a woman. She was strong and had no trouble with my bags. I was a little concerned when she arrived near Santo Spirito and began slowing down to check for adresses, she said, '26, vero?'. 26 is the correct for Hotel Cestelli, but we were on the wrong street. I said '26, si ma questa strada non รจ guista. E' vicino Ferragamo'. I gave her the hotel card again. I never trust myself to say the address: Borgo SS Apostoli, 26.

I know it's difficult to arrive at the hotel because the street is one-way and in the old part of Firenze. Traffic is restricted in this area. One cannot drive across Ponte Vecchio and at that moment, we were on the wrong side of the Arno River.

After a few more minutes of driving even further away from the hotel, she was able to make her way back, until we were driving down the correct street. 20 € is the fixed rate for a taxi from the airport to any hotel, even if the driver gets lost.

I ran the Hotel bell and Alessio and Asumi flew down the stairs to greet me. So nice to be back!
They carried my bags up as I trailed them with my purse and carry-on.

After just a few moments I had my favorite room, number 6, and I had unpacked tortillas, Colby Jack cheese, Herdez salsa and See's Candy for them. Alessio apologized for not having left a gift for me in the room. Only candy! Instead, on Saturday, they are going into the country to buy just pressed olive oil. They're bringing me a quart! I am so lucky and grateful to have thus sweet couple as friends.

I changed into my boots, washed up and was out the door by 7.30 pm.

First stop: dinner. I ordered Gnocchi with Shrimp Brandy Cream Sauce at Trattoria Le Antiche Carrozze . I forced myself to order something than my usual Raviolini with Ragu.


For dessert I had 4 tiny cream puffs, topped with hot fudge and whipped cream. Everything was wonderfully delicious.

Second stop: Edison Libreria (bookstore). On my shopping list is the Audio-book I saw last time: 'Il nipote del Negus' written by and read by its author, Andrea Camillieri.

I bought two other mysteries by Andrea Camillieri and 'Toscana: Dizionario Enogastronomico' a dictionary of food for the region of Tuscany.

After a short walk, I was back at the hotel at 10.30 pm and I went right to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment