Saturday, November 20, 2010

Saturday, Firenze

I slept 9 hours last night and woke up with the sun shinning at 8 am, even before my alarm went off.

I have a 10.30 appointment with Leo at the university this morning. I checked the map so I know exactly where I'm going.

I was ready and out the door at 9. My favorite store for buying household items is just down the street. I bought two milk frothers, which I could not find in May. Ouch!! 22 € for the 'made in Italy' brand. Three darling pairs of small red checked hot pads, just perfect for picking up small hot chocolate saucepans. Cost was 4 € a pair and made in India. Rosa and Marta will love theirs. Some black shoe polish and a real shoe brush to keep my shoes shinny here. At the last moment I found a real bottle brush. Checking items off my shopping list!

I left my purchases at the hotel and walked toward Piazza San Marco, window shopping along the way. I'm looking for a pair of boots.

As I reached the little side street which houses a branch of the University, I saw my Leo just getting out of his car. He sensed me and looked up. The chemistry hasn't changed. We still have eyes only for each other.

As I approached his face was lighted with a smile. We hugged and he took my hand and we entered the building together. He was not carrying his cane and told me I would make a very nice support instead. Of course, he was still wearing a back brace over the cashmere sweater I gave him for Christmas several years ago.

The classroom was a 20 seat computer lab, with a large projection screen on the far wall. The students were preparing to login just as we arrived. Our friend Emiliano was conducting this workshop. In Italy, schools are in session on Saturday.

Leo and I sneaked away for 30 minutes and we walked up and down the halls, talking and catching up. His stature has been slightly shortened as his broken vertebrae heal themselves. The MRI last week showed the breaks are healing, thank goodness. He still feels pain, although each day is different. He has gained back some weight, although his face is still a little thin. His coloring is nice and pink. I made him blush saying sweet things to him. I told him I brought the US Marines, to help spirit him away with me. He laughed, which is always good to hear.

Back in the classroom he gave a very nice lecture. The students were attentive. I saw only one male student. The others were all young women. The classroom was state of the art, with new computers running the latest Windows 7. I commented to Emiliano that it was nice to see there was money to be spent. One would think so ...seeing this nice new complex. Not so true I guess from the look on his face.
Leo stood and spoke for over and hour, using the back of a chair for support. I thought he looked and sounded very good. He's missing only the constant twinkle in his eyes..but I did see that light several times. He's fighting a hard battle to come back against, uneven odds.

When class was over we all walked out together. Emiliano went off on his motorbike while Leo and I took the car to our favorite Pizza place. We were directed to a table but the chairs looked uncomfortable for Leo. I asked if we could instead sit at the only table which had plastic chairs .. The place where the head waiter had been taking his break. We were accommodated!

The pizza was as good as I remembered. I ate my usual, Pizza Margherita and Leo had his Napoletano. It was a good day for Leo and he ate his entire pizza. Then for dessert he had two pieces of See's candy I brought him...his favorites.

I could see he had tired a lot. Amazing..this is the first time he's been out to eat in over two years.
As I watched him drive off, I knew he would sleep well and long that afternoon.

I visited a little exhibition of food from Southern Italy. I took pictures, but wished I could buy one of everything.







On the piazza near Edison Libreria (bookstore), I found a large collection of local olive oil producers, offering freshly pressed olive oil for this season. Mixed in, where local artists, displaying their works.






For dinner I visited the new grocery store across from Palazzo Pitti. For 4 € I bought a fresh salad which was packaged with cherry tomatoes and tiny fresh mozzarella balls. Included were a fork, napkin, packets of salt and oregano, plus two tubes: olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

In my room, I enjoyed the salad along with pizza crusts I had saved from lunch with Leo. Then, having saved 20 € on dinner, I walked over to the Nannini shop and bought a pair of shiny rain boots ... with a purse to match.

Buona notte
Good night

No comments:

Post a Comment