Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving in Italy

It's 9 pm on Thanksgiving Day and the girls have gone off with their husbands. Primo and Marina are relaxing by watching TV.


Tonight, we seven enjoyed a delicious dinner together. For one of the courses, Marina made lentils, which are traditionally served on New Year's Eve. They bring money and of course good luck. Dinner was completed with a layered dessert, topped with homemade whipped cream.

Primo has just prepared a hot water bottle for me! Just what I need to warm up my bed. I'm sleeping in Marta's childhood room this trip. It's cold but I really prefer sleeping in a cold room. I sleep deeply without nightmares here. It's a blessing

At the hotel in Firenze I keep the window open at night. I remember several winter trips I made to the Veneto Alpine area with Leo. At first Leo thought I was eccentric with my need for fresh air at night, even while ice sickles hung from the eaves of our hotel window. Later he understood my need for cool fresh air at night and my sweetheart slept with a scarf wrapped around his neck.

I never realized I have asthma. Now I understand why dry, warm or cigarette tainted air, shuts down my airways and makes for sleepless painful nights.

There's a nice down comforter on my bed here and the temperature is about 37 F. outside. The weatherman has changed his forecast and it will not snow tomorrow after-all. I am a little disappointed for the beautiful pictures I'll be missing.

Today while everyone else worked, I broke-in my new boots by waking all around town, looking in all the shops, food stores and markets, with my camera in hand.

I walked up and down every aisle in COOP, a grocery store in operation since 1854. There is a Ipercoop we sometimes visit, outside the city. Ipercoop is a hypermarket, which is a combination of supermarket and a department store.

Today I bought a supply of oregano, hot pepper flakes, Nutella chocolate spread, cacao and trofiette pasta (specialty of Liguria). Rosa and I shopped at Zara's (clothing) before dinner. I found an adorable wool plaid short cape, perfect for use in California beach weather.

I'm reading myself to sleep with a new book. Marta and Rosa really surprised me tonight by gifting me with Benedetta Parodi's newest cookbook 'Benvenuti nella Mia Cucina' (Welcome to My Kitchen) plus an adorable miniature Panettone box.
I bought Benedetta's first book last night after falling in love with Marta's copy. I read 100% better than I can speak.

I am thankful for my many blessings and for the 15 years I have been welcomed into this Italian family. Grazie mille dal mio cuore

No comments:

Post a Comment