Saturday, January 11, 2014

Tortino di pere (Pears in batter tart)

It's Saturday morning and I've made Tortino di pere (Pears in batter tart) on page 99 of  'From the Art of the Medicis to the Tables of Today.'


I've read through the entire 129 page book, which was translated from Italian to English. I wish I had the original in Italian. I've noticed some ingredients mentioned in the text which were not listed. My trust level has dropped a bit.

This morning I was a little worried about this recipe which called for a tablespoon of sugar for the batter. Then, one tablespoon of butter seemed to be only for buttering the pan, but it was not clearly stated. 

So I went on-line and checked for a similar recipe in Italian.
 
Torta di Pere

I notice she's added more spices to a recipe which seems almost identical to the one I'm using. I decided to follow the book recipe exactly. 

I was surprised! It looked a little pale when I removed it from the oven. The sprinkle of powdered sugar dressed it up perfectly. 

This is a nice delicate custard. Not too sweet. I ate a piece warm out of the oven, as suggested. Tonight I'll try it cold from the frig.

The generous butter was definitely for greasing the pan.










Tortino di pere (Pears in batter tart)

4-5 Kaiser pears (600g)
250 g  (1 cup) milk
2 large eggs
80 g (3/4 c) flour
1 T sugar
1/8 t. vanilla
15 g (1 T) butter, for greasing the pan
Powdered sugar

Use whip to mix eggs, flour, sugar and milk into a smooth batter.
Generously butter and then flour a 24 cm oven dish (9 inches).
Peel and core the pears.  Cut them into segments and arrange them in a tightly packed circle in the buttered pan.
Pour the batter over the pears.
Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 50 minutes.  Test for doneness with a toothpick.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Serve lukewarm or cold.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment