Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year's Day at home: watching the film Benvenuti al Sud (Welcome to the South)


Today I had planned to dust and organize my Italian cookbooks. I had an Italian DVD repeating several times to hear background talking. At home, I'm always on a quest to improve my Italian language skills. 

I opened a new movie, one I just purchased on sale for 6.99 € in November:  Benvenuti al Sud

Instead of cleaning I am sitting on a child's chair, the only surface not covered with books. I am so happy and lucky to be here laughing so hard my stomach hurts. All my years of studying have come together today. 

I have turned on Italian subtitles (for hearing impaired). It's now a treat to read and listen and know the subtitles don't match exactly what is being said. I like them on to make sure I'm paying close attention to the dialog. I am not quite fluent in understanding without these word training wheels. Last week, I was forced to watch Pinocchio without subtitles and I understood almost all the dialog.  I think Roberto Benigini's Toscano (Tuscan) accent was a big help. I could always understand Alessandro, who was 100% Toscano. 

I am sure I must be missing many of the gag jokes in this film, but I am seeing so many. The film is based on the strong Italian loyalty to one's hometown and region:  Campanilismo 

It has always given me great joy to observe the Italian culture, those parts I have been exposed to. I believe it's easier and of course more fun to see aspects of a another culture. From the first moment I took my maiden trip to Italy, via Paris for two days, I experienced a cultural freedom I had never before encountered. 

Alessandro and I had many wonderful cultural discussions. When people travel, they of course take their cultural biases with them. I have seen unhappy fellow travelers who should have stayed at home. Their cultural expectations tend to paint them to locals as unhappy complainers. I love the phrase 'When in Rome, do as the Romans.' 

Some observations (biases and stereotypes) from this movie. 

Italian government executives will try anything to stop a job transfer, even pretending to be handicapped. 

He is told he is being transferred South, from Milano. Bologna? No, more South. Roma? Sicilia? Worse: Napoli!

As the executive begins his journey to Napoli, he is wearing a bullet proof vest under his suit. 

His loving wife, suggests he leave his watch with her. It might be taken while he is at a traffic stop.  Also his wedding ring, as she makes a motion that thieves might cut off his finger to take the ring. I've received these same exact warnings!

His young son gives him a huge mousetrap so his feet won't get eaten by mice or rats. 

From the roadside, he takes the 'leaving Lombardia' road sign and with tears in his eyes, he departs his region. 

He arrives in the South full of preconceived expectations: the heat, disease, they talk funny, murder, drugs and a mafia presence in every home. Of course he sees clear evidence of each of his fears. 

His first night as a houseguest in Napoli, he sets his mouse trap, sprays the room with disinfectant, braces his door with a chair, and sleeps fitfully on the bed, which he covered with newspaper. He has brought with him, a piece of his beloved Milanese Gorgonzola cheese. 

As the film advances, he and his new community become more aware that cultural differences are not a bad thing. We can still be friends and with opened eyes we can be tolerant and accepting of habits, foods and dialects of people from other places. 

A nice message for all of us to start the new year. 




~~~.~~~
From:  http://blogs.transparent.com/italian/campanilismo/


Campanilismo

Posted on 02. Feb, 2009 by  in Culture

The word campanilismo, which doesn’t have a specific English translation, derives from campanile (bell tower). The campanile, traditionally the tallest and most prominent building in any town or village, has become, in the concept of campanilismo, an enduring symbol of devotion to, and love of ones region, city, town, village or even quartiere (quarter, small district of a town).

Campanilismo is a very important aspect of life in Italy symbolizing a sense of identity, of pride, and of belonging to the place of your birth, a feeling which is usually much stronger to an Italian than any sense of national identity. An Italian will say “sono romagnolo” (I’m from the region of Romagna), “sono veneziana”(I’m from Venice), or “sono napoletano” (I’m from Naples), before saying “sono italiano/a” (I’m Italian).

In order to explain campanilismo you have to remember that Italy is a very young nation having been created between 1860 and 1870. Before that time there existed only a multitude of small separate states, often fighting amongst themselves, each one with it’s own language, dialect or traditions. These days, despite Italy’s political unification and the effects of mass media which has to a certain extent homogenized Italian life, campanilismo continues to exist. There are still deeply rooted rivalries between different regions, provinces, towns, and quartieri, and one only has to witness the famous Palio di Siena, an intense ‘battle’ of a horse race between the different contrade (district factions) of Siena to understand the depth of feeling evoked by campanilismo, these sentiments are so strong in fact that it is almost considered a sacrilege in Siena to marry someone from one of the rival contrade.

In Lucca, a mere 20 minutes drive from Pisa, a common saying is “E’ meglio avere un morto in casa che un pisano alla porta” (It’s better to have a dead body in your house than a person from Pisa at your door). Driving between Lucca and Pisa you will notice that most of the road signs with the word PISA on them have been ‘adorned’ with the grafitti “PISA M***A” (unprintable word, but you can use your imagination). The same goes for the return journey during which you will find all the signs to Lucca have been converted to “LUCCA M***A”!

Campanilismo also symbolizes an adherence to the traditions, customs and dialects of ones own region. Apart from the usual religious or national festivals that are celebrated throughout Italy each region or town will have it’s own particular celebrations, often religious in nature, but also relating to historical events or culinary traditions such as thesagre (local food festivals) which are held throughout the summer.

Of course to a campanilista (someone who follows the philosophy of campanilismo) anyone who isn’t originally from their little part of the world is a forestiero/a (outsider, related to the word fuori = outside), and someone like myself, who although originally Italian has lived for many years all’estero (abroad) in England, will always be referred to as l’inglese (the English)!



No comments:

Post a Comment