Sunday, January 5, 2014

Italian Cookbooks Cooking Project 2014 -- Book 1

I'm in the process of organizing my books. In my bookshelves, Italian cookbooks have gotten mixed in with Italian novels and grammar books. I love bookstores in Italy and have frequent buyer cards in both Edison and Feltrinelli. With each trip and as my Italian improves, I add to my book collection.  
 
I've gotten disorganized in the past two years. I can feel the fog of mourning lifting a bit. 

I always carry an Italian language novel in my purse. In my work bag, I bring along a grammar book. I've decided I need to also focus on the cookbooks. I have an idea to pick a cookbook and put it aside for a two weeks, browse it cover to cover and try four interesting recipes. I don't believe it's an overly ambitious goal.  

To start, I've chosen "From the Art of the Medicis to the Tables of Today," a book published in Lucca (http://www.italbooks.com) (1999) and translated into English in 2001. The contains a series of Tuscan recipes which have been matched or inspired by still life paintings. 


~~~.~~~


This volume is a creative interplay of art and cooking, placing 46 gorgeous, full-color reproductions of still life art from the Medici collections beside the authentic Tuscan recipes which they inspire. For example, near Bartolomeo Bimbi's picture of "Plums" we find the recipe for Petto di Tacchino Farcito alle Prugne (Turkey Breast with Prune Stuffing), and beside Giovanna Garzoni's "Plate with Cherries" we find the recipe for Torta di Ciliegie (Cherry Tart). This beautiful book contains 128 recipes, including Antipasti, First Courses, Main Courses, Side Dishes and Vegetables, Desserts, Sauces, and Preserves and Jams. Whether your taste runs to game dishes or seafood, or pasta to soup, this unique cookbook has something to please every palate. Authors Carla Geri Camporesi and Barbara Golini - both native Tuscans - combine their shared passions for gastronomy and art in this elegant and unique collection. A perfect gift for the Italian cook - an EyeItalia exclusive.

No comments:

Post a Comment