Friday, November 30, 2012

30 November 2012, morning. Last day of school

My last day at school! I won't be able to take the exam with the class because it's next Friday, but the course material is very good and I can finish on my own. The levels are two weeks in length, but it is possible to attend for just one week. We had a Norwegian fellow arrive yesterday and the talented and clever Chinese student transferred out, because our class was too easy.
The  instructors who remember me all gave me hugs and hoped I'd come back next year. This school is just so excellent and I heard it's known widely now for its excellence.
The text booklets are now printed. I started with the school in its early years when the materials were Xeroxed and bound with plastic spirals. Free WiFi is now available.  All the students are carrying iPhones or iPads.
Sara, a younger substitute teacher on Tuesday told us class teaching assignments are given out by time of tenure. During the busy months she has her own classes. Nov and Dec with its Christmas break are slower months and the older teachers have the classes. So, since I normally have attended in the fall, my teachers have always been from the pool of 5 or 6 teachers with longer tenure.

I learned a lot of grammar this time. It was really review, but without the language barrier, now I can just learn. The classroom, with the Duomo right outside the wall of windows, is warm and comfortable.

I went to lunch with my new friend Maria.  First we stopped at the palazzo where she is boarding for several weeks. This housing is arranged through the school. In the past I have also boarded, although this time I decided to stay in my hotel.

I waited in the entry hall where there was a real well, blocked now.   I imagined what it must have been like in this spot several hundred years ago.

For lunch Maria led me to Trattoria Palle d'oro, located behind Borgo San Lorenzo.  Her landlady introduced her to this wonderful eating location. The panini are made to order.  One chooses from the selection of breads, cheeses, salame and condiments. 

We stood at the counter to eat. So delicious. So much more than a "sandwich."  The tourists were just steps away, but we didn't see any in this trattoria.



  





My boots were fine almost all day but later in the evening,  I started feeling sick to my stomach because of those new boots. I wore thicker socks today, hoping to stretch the boots a bit. I even stepped in water puddles.

I saw UGGs in a shop window yesterday and today I bought them. I had to pay a fortune.  Too much, but I'm thinking of it as a medical necessity. I was hardly able to walk.   Note to self, don't try to break in new shoes during a short trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment