Friday, November 23, 2012

23 November 2012, Friday Firenze

Today was a restful day! Just being here and absorbing the air, the art, the historical echoes from the buildings is what I needed right now. I feel Alessandro's presence, as I do each day but here our thoughts seem to merge with memories of the moments we had together here. I feel loved.
 
I slept an exhausted sleep last night and twice woke up in the middle of dreams during which I was working. It will take a few days to shake that stress. I'm always thankful for my job and the money I can put aside for these trips. I am looking forward to the future when I can be here for a few months at a time.
 
The nice hot shower helped last night.  I was forced to scamper quickly from the bathroom to my room, wrapped in a towel and overcoat. I'm the only guest today, so it wasn't really an issue.
 
I woke up at 4.30 and had breakfast in the dark, so I wouldn't wake up too much. A tangerine half the pan di pescatore and a glass of milk. I was sound asleep after that until 10 am.
 
I dressed quickly in the extra set of clothes I always bring in my carry-on. My washed socks were dried after a night on the radiator.
 
Alessio was here this morning and after hugs he took my AirFrance paperwork and called about my luggage. They assured him it was already with a courier and would arrive soon. He gave me the night keys so I have the freedom to come and go.  I'm the only guest today.  This will give them the freedom to have an afternoon date outside too. The weather is cool but very pleasant.
 
Just as we were talking, the door buzzed for someone to enter the building. We could see a man's face on the intercom. Hurray! The courier with my bag. Alessio had to help him carry it up the stairs! 23 k,  exactly the AirFrance limit. I always bring my mover's brace. Fifty pounds and my packed clothes don't account for very much of the weight.
 
This time I have two baby quilts I made, for new babies of Nadja and Emiliano, both students of Alessandro. I have traditional See's candy for my Cremona family and adorable See's turkey decorated chocolates for Florentine friends. American potato mashers, maple syrup, homemade vanilla, Santa Claus oven mitts, cooper angel cookie cutters and magazines for Marta and Rosa. Magazines for the men. Stuffed frog (made in USA) for our new bambino. Pecans for Marina and salted Almonds for Primo. Duncan Hines chocolate cake mix requested by Rosa. Hershey dried cocoa powder for Alessandro's son. Cinnamon requested by Marta. Herdez salsa, tortillas and longhorn cheese for Alessio and Asumi.


The game Taboo to be shared in Cremona. A giraffe umbrella from the Sacramento Zoo and Halloween My Little Kitty shirt for Grazia, who is 3 years old. And lastly two Starbuck's mugs for Laura and Sara to remember all those stops at Starbucks with Alessandro.
 
And that's why TSA inspected my bag. They left their calling card. I'm sure they had a laugh when they saw what I really had.
 
So, I was very happy to see my bag arrive. I gave Alessio the tortillas and cheese to refrigerate but left the bag unpacked on the floor. Organization can happen later in the evening.
 
I had a mental list of things to do this morning. I started by importance. I went  to Alessandro's jewelers to have my ring resized. It's time to move it to my right hand. I rang the shop bell and was buzzed in. The ring will be ready tomorrow afternoon and the cost is between 15 and 20€. I only trust these jewelers with my ring.
 
I found the church nearby open and sat inside for a few minutes. I was the only person there!
 
Next I went to Scuola Leonardo Da Vinci to check on my schedule. I've signed up for for a one week session.

Patrizia, with lovely purple glasses, recognized me. It's been 4 years I think since I last attended. I took my test and she graded me. I'll be in Intermediate 2 to review again that which hasn't firmly been stored in my mind. Those pronomi indiretti get me everytime. So, I don't know them.  Verbs will be the tense 'conguintivo', which is not used in English. I need more practice speaking with this tense.

Example: I think she is coming. I had thought she was coming. Use Conguitivo when it's a thought, feeling or conjuncture.
 
Next time, I should have enough vacation for two weeks of school! Patrizia gave me a cloth bag, book, notebook and a schedule of outside activities for next week. Monday at 9am classes start.
 
My phone is only accepting inbound calls. I missed Marta's call this morning. I was a little worried the year rule had changed for my phone number. I stopped at the Vodafone shop to by more time. I learned a new word: ricarica virtuale (recharge). I had a choice 15 or 25€. I choose 15 so I can recharge before I leave. The rule has not changed. Use the number and it's still yours for another year. Alessandro helped me get this SIM. It now works in an updated phone. Alessio gave me their personal phone number today and they have mine.
 
Nearby was Piazza Sant'Ambrogio.  I used to rent a room in this neighborhood when I attended school at Scuola Leonardo Da Vinci.

I  checked first for boots at the store which sells French boots. Next I went to the antiques stalls nearby. They have odd hours.  I've bought a few pieces of copper there, including an antique colander. Not finding anything, I saw La Ghiotta Gastronomia Rosticceria open for lunch. I love this place! I ordered a slice of my favorite porchetta (pork roast with rosemary and garlic stuffed inside), some small white onions cooked in balsamic vinegar, a few artichoke slices, and a spoonful of ratatouille. (7€)



A few doors down at La Pagnotta Panificio (bakery), I discovered they still sell fresh bread rolls. I bought three rolls and milk, along with a tiny chocolate tart. (3€) Walking back I realized I had no fork. I remembered seeing silverware by the piece at the antiques stalls. For 5 € I got an adorable silver fork.









 
I planned my lunch hunting and gathering perfectly.  As the Italian lunch hour approaches, the local shops were shuttering as I passed by. Back in my room I was only able to eat half of the meat, but most of the vegetables. I saved the tart for a late snack. It was all just as yummy as I remembered.





 
I have a silver fork to remember my day. I slept for 2 hours.
 
I'm still jet lagged. I decided on strolling without purpose. Darkness arrives early here, but the streets are filled with Italian families and couples window shopping.





One of the (many) things I love about Italy.  Ones sees this scene in many cities.  When something is under construction, it's normal for a draping to be hung over the metal scaffolding.  This cloth will be a picture of the shop, statue or an entire building front.  A note about the scaffolding:  it's usually artistic too. Lots of shinny brass fasteners.


There are some tourists but at this hour, most Americans I suppose are at what is considered early an dinner. I wandered through stockings in  the very warm Rinascente department store and filled out a questionnaire to receive two 20% off discount cards. With the heat, I felt tiredness overtaking me. I left for fresh outside air and a cool gelato. 
 
A cup of scrumptious all natural gelato was just around the corner. I usually avoid the overpriced tourist gelato which I've seen priced for 3-6€ near Ponte Vecchio.

The shop named Venchi is sparkling clean and gleaming with silver and glass counters filled with chocolates and gelato. I chose the medium cup (3€) with a scoop of both chocolate with candied orange peel and strawberry. I need to go back and try all the flavors.



 
My last stop for the evening. 7.00 at Conad to start my grocery shopping. I need yogurt for breakfast. I found Baci on sale for 4.29€, but I see now I was charged the normal 5.99.  Still cheaper than 25$ on Amazon! I bought dried rosemary bread slices for the week and dried chilies to take home.
 
I passed by the little market which is a neighbor to my hotel, Hotel Cestelli. It's packed full of wonderful things for the kitchen and for a quick snack.  Their specialty is olive wood items from Chianti, spices and copperware.




I'm back at the hotel at 8 and ready to sleep. I'm hoping to find fresh olive at a farmers market tomorrow morning.
 
I'm free to let tomorrow just happen !


 

No comments:

Post a Comment