Thursday, November 22, 2012

22 November, Thursday Thanksgiving 2012

Well here I am in Paris and it's 1pm. I've just missed my 12.45 flight to Firenze.

At first I thought perhaps I daydreamed through the screen call for embarkment. There were two flights for Florence. Interesting they use the English spelling not the Italian.

But now I think it was probably caused by the time I spent changing my sweaty clothes and getting water and rice pudding. I went to the AirFrance desk and they booked me for the next flight. I only have to wait 45 minutes.

I arrived at my senses just in time. Now an angry crowd of about 20 frustrated older Italians are waiting for help. I only caught a few words of one very angry man who was speaking for the group until they started to try to calm him down. He was so upset it he was red in the face. Vergognoso (shameful) and  galera  (jail) ... Both reflecting his thoughts about Air France.

I was one of the first to check-in for the 2.00 flight. The boarding takes place 20 minutes before the time of departure. There were only 18 passengers. I took my F11 window seat, belted myself in and promptly fell sound asleep. The warmth of the sun and the peaceful quiet was soothing. I had been asleep almost 30 minutes, almost halfway to Firenze when I woke up to an announcement, in French, 'disembark' .

That peaceful quiet was due to the fact the plane was still on the ground, with no engines running. I slept through without knowing the reason, but apparently we needed to change planes.

I had seen my luggage sitting by itself on a carrier and hoped it had gotten notice too.   On another plane, with apologies we arrived in Firenze, one hour late. I wasn't surprised to not see my bag on the luggage carousel.

My Italian continues to improve, especially my understanding. I conversed in Italian with the lost luggage assistant. She looked relieved I was not going to be difficult and angry. She offered me an AirFrance overnight kit which I declined. I always pack a set of clean clothes in my carry/on. With assurances my bag would be delivered to my hotel in the morning, I caught a taxi. 21€  which I see did not include several extra € for the luggage, missing of course.

Without a window seat on the long flight from LAX, I have arrived really tired. I sat in-between a young Italian and an older French woman, both pleasant.  I missed the window seat to lean on and was so afraid I would lean into that nice Italian, that I couldn't relax and fall into a deep seat.

Borgo SS Apostoli is blocked due to construction in front of Feragammo. I told the driver it was fine to just drop me where he could. Without luggage it was easy. I stopped in at the tiny store next to Hotel Cestelli and bought 10 tangerines.



Alessio was out jogging. Asumi and I didn't have a second of trouble communicating in Italian. After hugs and taking care of checking in, I found gifts in my room! Tangerines, pasta, dried figs and a jar of green olives. Luckily I had a loaf of sour dough French bread in my carry/on to give to Asumi. The tortillas I always bring to them are in my luggage.



I walked hopefully to Edison. I saw their lights still on. Almost empty, but not defeated. With 30,000 signatures (plus my 1), it seems that Edison Liberia and its 38 employees, might be saved due to its cultural contribution to Firenze.


I had heard rumors that commercial Apple was pushing them out of the building.  This place (around Piazza della Republica) belongs to locals too, was the war cry. I'm glad 30,000 people spoke out and were heard by the mayor, Rezzo.

I bought the last three Valentina books (30 % off). I followed the music upstairs to find a book reading going on (of Italo Calvino by the actor Lorenzo dell 'Innocente). Also in attendance was an artist, standing in the trio, painting at an easel. I'm sorry I was too exhausted to stay and enjoy the event.




Edison has been my first stop, every night of my arrival, for the past 12 years. I have purchased so many books, that I have an Edison frequent buyer card too.

I walked back to Borgo SS Apostoli. After a reunion with the waiter who greeted me with "welcome back. You want the menu in Italian, correct?" I choose something new:  Bici with porcini mushrooms and Florentine pancetta (no nitrates!)





After eating, I walked to Ponte Vecchio to get a picture.  Passing by a local bar, I bought one Pan di Pescatore (3€ Fisherman's Bread).   I love it here. It's Thanksgiving Day and I am grateful to be here again. I am thankful for friendships, love, good health and a busy job.   Buona notte


No comments:

Post a Comment