Wednesday, May 30, 2012

May 30, 2012 Day after the Parma Earthquake

a family heirloom


7.30 and Mario has just dropped me off at the Cremona train station. He told me there was another earthquake last night of 2.9. I didn't feel it. I slept all night and I'm finally feeling rested, as I always do when I'm here. Too bad I always have to leave, just when I acclimate into the pace of Italian life.

I'm on the platform waiting for the binario assignment to show for the 7.55 train, arriving in Parma at 8.53

I didn't see my train showing up on the board so I went looking. The train for Parma is on the 1 OE binario, way at the far end of the station. I should have remembered its normal spot earlier.  But they have changed all the schedules recently. Now one cannot go to Piacenza from Cremona on the train. It's close enough to drive, the reason given for its cancellation.

I had just lifted my bag onto the bottom step of the train, when I heard Signora! A nice policeman lifted the bag for me.

There are students traveling in every direction. Some arriving, others departing. Mario told me summer vacation starts in two weeks.

Yesterday, Marta worked until 11.30. It was her last day for awhile. She's now on maternity leave.



I slept until 9 and left at 10 to see the normal Wednesday Mercato on the streets and in Piazza Stradoveri. I walked and took pictures until 11.30. I bought a pair of silk pants and a purse. Then I found three beautiful plants with purple flowers. In Marta's garden there's a perfect spot for them. I stopped at the pasticceria to buy Baba to take to the US to my son.










I met Marta at home at noon. I setup her new purple flowers in her garden patio.  Being incinta, she does not want to touch dirt.  I'm glad she's taking care of herself and the baby who will arrive in a few months.



Primo and Marina joined us for lunch. The workmen were applying the varnish to the freshly sanded hardwood floor on the living room and dining room.

I had leftover risotto and then cotoletta di pollo, cutlet style chicken. Marina put on an apron and cooked them for us. With a green salad and yummy tomatoes, it was perfect.

Primo went back to work as he does every day after having lunch at home. Marina left too. Marta and I rested for an hour watching two tv shows. And the second show was, Cloe, MakeupMarta and I had a discussion about culture. Italians love these shows where they can ask questions and learn. So often they will also make suggestions to each other. Marta told me they installed chairs at the marcellaio shop because it takes so long to make a purchase. The marcellaio wants to discuss each meat or poultry choice and give suggestions on preparation.

When an Italian eats with family or close friend they feel comfortable critiquing the meal. This is not be be taken as criticism. It's honestly to be helpful. It was then that Marta laughed, realizing I always say the good is wonderful. From now on, she's going to ask me, what do you really think!

I had a recent conversation with Alessandro's son. I have to agree with him somewhat. When one is not just a tourist and when one becomes attached to another culture, it does add some anxiety to one's life. But it also adds an incredible joy and richness impossible to feel when one remains safely at home in a warm cocoon.

I told Marta my issue with the English restaurant menu. I always have to ask for an Italian menu.  The English menu is usually poorly translated.  She said but Zia you are not at all like the tourists! So true. I cook with Italian language cookbooks and I want to know what the menu really says!

Woow a feather just flew into my compartment and landed on the pant leg of the man to my right. I truly believe Alessandro sends these feathers to me as a message of love.

We made apple strudel and two batches of pizza dough. One will be made with Italian flour and the other with American flour.  I can't wait to see the difference.

 Mattia is on a restricted diet and cannot eat seeded items or spices until June.  For him, we decided to make waffles and top it with vanilla ice cream and simmered apples. I found a recipe on the Internet and prepared the dry and wet ingredients in advance.






We walked to the shoe repair shop and I left my favorite shoes which I bought in Cinque Terre about five years ago. The heels are worn to their nubs. 12 E and they will be ready next Thursday. I paid early so Marta just needs to pick them up and I'll be reunited with them in November.

Dinner was a great success.  The Italian pizza was so much better than the one made with American flour.  A big difference in both texture and taste. 








Castleguelfo .. I love the name of this station. The Guelfs were here! I need to refresh my history lessons.



A kind African immigrant carried my bag up the stairs here on Parma. He walked away when I said Grazie Mille. They never ask for money and I didn't offer. It didn't seem right although I would have liked to. The way he moved away from me so quickly to me meant he wanted to do it for kindness.



My University Italian film class this year was such a help to better understand these immigrants. Yesterday when I bought my knockoff bag, the seller was a razaggo from Senegal. I felt embarrassed to show Marta my find, but yesterday at the Mercato, the police office was happily walking around saying how to the vendors. The purse salesman didn't move from his spot. Later that evening I saw him again with his wares in the downtown shopping area. He greeted me. I was afraid to show my bag to Marina, but at lunch she congratulated me on my good find. With this economy, not many of us feel comfortable spending 1200 on a leather shopping bag. I paid 60€. I'm sure the Designer did not lose a sale from me. Now I advertise for him by carrying this nice bag everywhere.

Parma. The recent earthquakes have been centered in this area and near Modena. I saw and saved a copy of a photo taken in a nearby field. Primo says the Apennines are moving closer to the Alps. The deep crack in the picture really shows the strength of these quakes. Taking just a few seconds the earth's plates slid. The news showed slides of the plates of Africa and Europe moving toward each other. A geology lesson for us all. Now it's burned into my brain that Africa is on the lower left side of Italy.
 
Speaking of news, they are saying the Devil now has a presence in the Vatican. I need to catch up on the latest scandal. Apparently this pope has been debole or weak. The forces of power always want to overcome other less powerful forces. It's the way it's always been. I see it at work too. It's part of human nature. 
 
The gypsies are changing. A girl dressed in a vanilla orange t-shirt and sandals has just left the standard note. Hers were personalized with an orange drawn flower. I'm told each gypsy is paid 30€ a day by the government and they don't pay taxes. This I think is why they catch no sympathy from Italians.

These notes used to be hand written.  Now they are typed. The message is always the same.


I will pay them for carrying my heavy bag in the train station, but not here.  No eye contact is the Italian way of dealing with this begging.


No comments:

Post a Comment