Saturday, May 26, 2012

May 26, Memorial for Alessandro in Firenze



I had not slept well, but I was up early and ready to be at Alessandro's memorial which started at 10 am. The location is at the new university building near Piazza San Marco. I brought three dress possibilities and at the last minute I decided on the simple, fitted knit black dress with black leggings and a white sweater with large black polka dots. I wore black and white checked Ferragamo flats. I also had my new silver Pandora charm bracket which I had bought on Friday. At 9.00 I went looking for Asumi to get her opinion of my outfit. Alessio came out and agreed with Asumi.  I was dressed just right. They both knew Alessandro and have been so supportive, though two years of hospital visits and illness. I always returned back to the hotel to their hugs. They also know what I will be walking into today.

Unless I'm going out of town, I usually walk everywhere around Firenze. I knew how long it would take to get to Piazza San Marco, about 20 minutes. I left myself 45 minutes, which was a good thing. When I got there, I walked down the wrong street, realized my mistake when the area didn't look familiar, so I had to backtrack. It was cool when I started out, but as 10 am got closer, I was feeling the humidity. Nerves too. I wanted to wear the sweater, at least until I left the memorial. I carried with me a bunch of sunflowers from a local florist and 4 half pound boxes of See's Candy in a Gucci carry bag, which I had bought Friday. 

 I've been to this University campus before, when Alessandro was still well enough to lecture on Saturday mornings. I walked in at 9.50, just in time to see Alessandro's son exit the elevator with Prof Peruzzi, organizer of this event. His son came right over and air kissed me on both cheeks, which is the normal informal greeting for friends. He told me not to worry.  I repeated the same to him. 

Diana, for whom Alessandro was advisor, during the time she was writing her thesis on artificial intelligence, was also there early. She will be speaking today.  I had become acquainted with her on FaceBook. But before that, I had listened in on her visits with Alessandro, at his home. He would frequently meet with students to give them advice on their projects for master or bachelor thesis. Sometimes he would leave the webcam or the Skype connection open so I could be with them.

The son, consulting with Prof Peruzzi, set-up a laptop computer in the ornate lecture hall, Diana organized through her talk notes. I placed the bouquet of flowers on the lecture table. I waited for Emiliano, he was scheduled to talk, but had to cancel at the last minute for illness. Another Prof, who I recognized, took his place at the lecture table. I looked for Consul Brasioli, but did not see him either.

It was 10.00 and I was the only guest to have arrived.  I choose a seat in the center of the front row. I took pictures of the room with its bright red, theater seats. On the high domed ceiling, was an ornate fresco of angels and clouds. 



As the guests began to arrive, I spoke with a friend of Alessandro's who was seated to my right. He practiced his English, while I tested my Italian. It always seems easier when using this arrangement. It levels the playing field and neither of us feel too self conscious about grammar mistakes.

The son brought his mother in from the back door and introduced her to me. We each said 'Piacere' to each other and then she walked to approach the lecture table.  Before continuing, she turned back to me to admonish me 'don't put any pictures of this on the Internet!'. She's recently discovered my Blog, I think, with the 'helpful' assistance of a friend. She was very unhappy with the Blog and wanted me to stop writing it.

She bustled up to the lectern to make sure everyone knew who she was. She then sat one seat away from me, to my left. Her helpful friend, came a little later and sat next to me on my left. She said 'Piacere' also to me, to which I replied the same but I then turned away from her. I was determined to prevent any emotional flare-ups from marring this event.

Prof Perruzi spoke to give a nice introduction and then read a 'Salute' from Diego Brasioli, who could not attend.  He was the Italian Consul in Los Angeles, and became Alessandro's friend.  He now works in Rome. 



A second professor gave an emotional speech and was teary when he finished. I recognized him as a close colleague of Alessandro's. I had a hard time understanding him.

Diana spoke, also with teary eyes. I understood a good portion of what she said. Then Alessandro's son presented a very very nice PowerPoint presentation. I think he put a lot of time and thought into it. I wondered if he realized most of the pictures he used were taken by me. I don't think the family realizes the deepness of the relationship Alessandro and I had. It's difficult to recognize what one has not experienced.

Another man, whom I recognized from pictures, spoke from what looked like hand written notes. He was a childhood friend, one of the two Claudios.  He was deeply emotional too. 


Prof Peruzzi brought the conference to its end and there was clapping from everyone, except me. I was busy filming with my iPhone, panning the audience so I can later see who was present. Then, immediately I went up to the speakers' table and handed each of the four a box of See's Candy, thank them and saying thus was Alessandro's favorite candy from California.

I left the elevated stand and approached Deborah and Chiara, two students who came with Alessandro on his one of his last trips here.  That last group was the largest group he ever brought. We needed two cars to travel.  The group was all girls and one guy. I need to find a group picture, He also had told them our whole story when they asked. So, I felt a real closeness to these girls. I last saw them here when we had a big reunion dinner in Firenze. I think that was November before his collapse. 


We three hugged and talked in Italian. An older man came up to us to say hi to me. He was Alessandro's brother-in-law. I had met him at the hospital in 2010 when Alessandro first was hospitalized. He told me his wife was unable to attend, due to poor health.

The girls and I left together to avoid an awkward scene. Just outside the door of the room, a large poster of Alessandro was taped to the wall. The girls helped me to quickly take it down and we left, rolling it up as we walked. 


We walked together to the Duomo and parted, the girls going toward the train station. 


I returned to Amando Poggi, where yesterday, I had purchased a silver charm bracelet. I bought two more charms of violet colored Venetian glass to remember the day. 


I had lunch at the restaurant near my hotel.  I ordered sformato, which I love, but this was the first time at this restauant. As I waited, a tiny feather drifted through the air and down past my shoulder.  It felt like Alessandro was nearby.




In the afternoon I decided I must do something constructive to overcome my sadness.  First, I went to SMN Stazione Santa Maria Novella) and bought train tickets to leave for Cremona on Monday morning. I passed by crowded stands for the Gelato Festival in Piazza Santa Maria Novella.

Then for several hours, I visited an art exhibit at Palazzo Strozzi:  American in Florence (Americani a Firenze). The open-air courtyard also contained an art display.





Luckily for me, the Gelato Festival was taking place at various locations thoughout Firenze. Near the merry-go-round, I sat on a yellow bench in Piazza della Repubblica and enjoyed a cup with two scoops:  chocolate and fragole (strawberry), which was always Alessandro's choice.  Cost for this special event:  1E per scoop!





And then, I went walking for hours, looking for pictures and remembering walks Alessandro and I had taken together. My last stop was at the grocery store Standa, where I bought octopus salad for a dinner alone in my room.














No comments:

Post a Comment