Friday, May 25, 2012

Firenze, Friday May 25, 2012




I slept twelve hours last night. I was out the door by 10.30, past the Ponte Vecchio view and barely in time to check the Santo Spirito Piazza mercato. I was hungry for fruit but passed by the stands. I just made a quick run-through to look and took a great picture of Chiesa Santo Spirito.


 The Mercato Vecchio is open until 2 and today was the only day on this trip I can work this in. I took some great pictures, especially of the little toy animals which give clear indication of what is in the meat/poultry cases.

Beef
Wild Boar (Cinghiale)


Bear who likes Honey

I bought fresh cherries. At another counter I found dried Amareno cherries. I asked for 2€ worth and the counterman scooped in exactly 100g. I was able to make a comment to him which he understood. I said 'you have an eye for this!' and he smiled and agreed with me.

 
The tourist season is in full force. It must be hard to be a vendor here, daily, dealing with the sameness of out of town people discovering these spices and foods for the first time. It's must be like living the film 'Groundhog's Day.' I am trying to speak, but speaking in the classroom is very different then speaking spontaneously out in public. This time when people try to speak to me in English, I reply 'I prefer that we speak in Italian.' I am understanding the prices without too much difficulty. I understand about 5 times better than I can speak. Making progress but it's slow with only these brief 10 day immersions. I crave a longer time period. Three or six months would be heavenly.


At Nerbone, I paid 3.50 € for a trippa panino (tripe), with red and green salsa. The red is chili and the green is either finely chopped parsley and maybe a bit of basil. I need to check further. I made eye contact with the sandwich maker and made a nice comment to him. I watched him making sandwich after sandwich. He was just working like a robot. I do prefer coming in the fall. These vendors are earning money but they are under stress too, with these crowds.






 


I took lots of pictures, but nothing else looked interesting to buy. I bought some Tuscano spices to take to Cremona. I know Marina likes this spice. It's awfully warm and humid today.

I walked back to the hotel though the Borgo San Lorenzo street market, but found no scarves. I am looking for only linen or light cotton ones. I like to have a scarf around my neck while at work because the air conditioning chills my neck. I took a quick look through Benneton.



I was so tired, I reached the hotel, ate a wonderful lunch with my new Alice magazine and then I slept for two hours.



In the afternoon, I craved milk and I needed to find flowers for Alessandro's memorial. In the San Ambrogio district I happened on a flower shop and found exactly what I wanted: Sun flowers! Alessandro used to bring me these happy flowers. I've never seen them growing in fields, but someday I will ! The vendor tied them up in cellophane and then paper. He left the bottom open so I can let them rest in water overnight.

 
I shopped for cheese, Parma proscuito, tomato, milk and bread for dinner. I took a number at the fresh cheese and salame counter. The counter man had no trouble understanding my Italian. I love those little rounds in soft cheese with the white moldy exterior.

I walked the aisles and saw two brands of spaghetti, which are in my shopping list. Each grocery store only carries certain brands. I have learned to buy as I see and not wait. A small pack of Kinder chocolates for tonight's dessert!

As I used to do before meeting Alessandro, I stopped for a hot chocolate at Vestri. But this time, because of the season, what a nice surprise:  cold thick chocolate milk.





For a few minutes I stopped in at the church Santa Maria de' Ricci, which has evening musical recitals.  I've lighted many candles here for Alessandro.





I trekked back to my hotel, taking pictures along the way. The lighting here is amazing. I kept seeing the word Love in shop windows. I need these good feelings for tomorrow.








The sun doesn't set until almost 9.00 but the shops start closing at 8. Dinner time here for Italians, and they close up and go home.



Unfortunately I had a sleepiness and restless night.

No comments:

Post a Comment