Sunday, February 26, 2012

Nov 22, 2011, Afternoon at Gucci Museum

I checked in at Edison Libreria to get two books still on my reading list. I searched but could not find my favorite Florentine commissario detective series. I asked for assistance. People who love books can find books with minimum information. The bookseller took me right to the Marco Vichi area. I picked up four books, including his newest 'la Forza del Destino'.

At the cassa (checkout register) I asked for and received an Edison frequent buyer card and received immediate credit for future discounts. I was not required to show ID or to provide a local address. I now have in my possession, frequent user cards for three stores.

I walked through the city looking for pictures, heading toward the Gucci Museum.



A gypsy girl in typical clothing (Zingaro/Zingari)




La Bottega dell'opera di Santa Maria Fiore

La Bottega dell'opera di Santa Maria Fiore.  They make copies of outside statues, then place originals in the museum.

Toys are adorable and expensive.

I always stop to admire and support the street artists.


The sun sets early here in the autumn. In the dusk I walked through the crowded streets toward Piazza della Signoria. The Gucci Museum opened only a few weeks ago and I had read all the details in the November issue of The Florentine newspaper. Cost for entry: 7€.

The Gucci Museum was incredible. I have to compare it with the Ferragamo Museum because there is no comparison. Ferragamo's basement museum was interesting, but it has the feeling of being the stepchild to the upstairs shoe store.

Gucci has created an elegant, friendly, informative and captivating atmosphere. I was reluctant to leave after having stayed for two hours.

At the entry desk, I was invited to check my winter coat and packages. I was given a small brown folder, with the explanation that it would hold the information cards available in the various rooms. I was guided into a screening room to view a film about Gucci, the man.

Each room has attendant hovering nearby. Their clothes and demeanor! I want to be just like them.

The museum has three floors and various rooms organized by product line, with displays of past models of luggage (Gucci's first effort), purses, a Cadillac upholstered in Gucci fabric and lastly a dimly lighted room with stunning dresses. No pictures allowed. The dresses were displayed with no barrier between viewer and dress. One is able to fully walk around each dress, close enough to see the stitching. Hillary Swank's dress, worn to the 2011 Academy Awards, was a gorgeous, delicate fluffy cloud of white ostrich feathers. Each feather had been individually attached by hand. It was so difficult to not touch!

Several rooms were showing films. I watched how purses are made, from the first hand-cutting of the fabric to the construction and attachment of handles. A room was set aside to showcase the Gucci company's commitment to the restoration of film classics. I watched 5-10 minute clips of five or six films, showing before and after restoration work.

On the third floor, the sound of a waterfall drew me into the final film room. I sat transfixed. I knew what I was seeing. Leo...

For ten minutes I was spell bound watching Tristen's Ascension which illustrates a soul rising into heaven. Tears which I've been holding back on this trip started flowing and I couldn't stop them.

Watch Tristen's Ascension: Watch Tristen's Ascension at Gucci

Afterwards, I carefully made my way to down the flights of stairs, back to the ground level gift shop and bookstore. I had already seen a Gucci museum bag I wanted as a souvenir. The silent tears would not stop. A very very sweet Gucci commessa asked if I needed help. I shook my head no and she walked away.

A minute later, she returned carrying a black tray and a sparkling black glass of cool water. I thankfully accepted it. I told her I was really fine, but the film upstairs showing the soul going into heaven had released a lot of emotion. I told her my sweetheart had died here in Firenze two months ago, but I had been in California and I had even missed his funeral. She told me she understood what I had said and was so sorry for my loss. She agreed watching the film was an emotional experience.

I thanked her for her kindness and she left me to browse..but then she returned a moment later with a napkin covering a rich chocolate cookie.

I bought my museum bag and she gave me her card. Gucci now has a special place in my heart. Official site of the Gucci Museum




Dinner was a wonderful picnic in my room.



No comments:

Post a Comment