Thursday, June 21, 2012

November 27, 2011 Cremona

Sundays are always quiet days in Cremona. I slept in until 9 and was just barely ready to leave at 9.55 to attend 10.00 mass. Mattia had already left for another long day at work. I sat with Marina, Primo and Rosa.

The church looked almost back to normal this morning. The workers' tools and building supplies had been cleared away. In Italy they often drape the scaffolding with either a cloth picture of the covered item or with a plastic mesh to protect from falling objects. Behind and to both sides of the altar were white meshed drapes covering restoration work.

Because today is a special day for the Advent season, young catechism students took part in a ceremony. They each approached the altar and were given a just lighted small red candle. At the end, about twelve boys and girls stood in a line on both sides of Don Attia. He then said the Padre Nostro (Lord's Prayer) for them. Afterwards, the students returned to their pews, leaving their flickering candles lined up on the altar. I love going to church here. I took some recordings of the singing with my iPhone.

After mass, we walked home and both Marina and Rosa started ironing. Primo watched a golf tournament being broadcast from Australia. I love to walk so I put on my jacket, scarf, hat and gloves. It's cold in Cremona, especially with the dense fog. No snow for me this year.



I found the usual Sunday morning small mercato set up on the Stradovari Piazza. I samples cheese from Sicily.

One stand, selling organic cotton items, is always here. This time I took pictures of huge grapefruit sized bulbs, already sprouted with greenery. Smaller bulbs were 10€ and the larger ones 15€. A large basket packed tightly with over a dozen bulbs, I calculated to be very very expensive. In the spring when they bloom, they will be impressive. I need to research these flowers.


I found the children's toy shop open and bought a small made in France mouse for Marta. Usually on Sundays, in non tourist towns, one can find only bookstores, bakeries, ice cream or coffee shops and museums open. All that changes during the Christmas season. I found other random stores open. Mostly I'm out just looking to take pictures. The chestnuts a vendor was roasting smelled so good.


At home we had roast, polenta and salad for lunch. Marina then started to make the dough for tonight's dinner: pizza. They have a machine which uses both the gas stovetop fire, combined with an electric filament to produce perfect restaurant quality pizza.

I packed my bag for tomorrow's 8.00 trip back to Firenze. Even though I had purchased tickets in my purse, Marina wanted to check online. She's worried my tickets do not reflect reality. She decided I need to go back to the station today to verify or change my tickets. When Marina has an idea, it's best to follow through. She's usually right!

I was watching golf with Primo when suddenly everyone was up and getting ready to go...somewhere. I'm always happily ready to change gears.

What a nice surprise! Primo needs to talk to his brother, a retired emergency room physician. I'd known Zio had purchased a new home several years ago. I had heard it was in the country and it needed some work done.

Never judge a house by its exterior in Italy. We pulled up to a stand alone smallish compound and parked on the shoulder of the two lane road. Walking through an open old wooden set of doors, we entered a what looked like a work area of a small farm.

I heard dogs barking and when Zio opened the door, I understood him perfectly when he said, 'You're not afraid of dogs, are you?'. I replied in Italian instantly, 'I adore dogs!'. These dogs are beagles or a beagle mix I think.


Rosa took me on a room by room tour. The kitchen is small, modern and uncluttered, done in stainless steel. They've inserted a 36 inch grill on short legs, into the original kitchen fireplace. The kitchen table is a long wooden and practical, covered with a floral tablecloth. I notice a pan of raw chestnuts sitting on the counter.


The laundry room has a washer and surprisingly also a dryer. Due to both cultural and electrical cost considerations, one rarely sees clothes dryers here. But still, I see one of those fabulous European style clothes drying racks, which can be folded up, when not in use.  I want one!

The house is not cold due to heating tubes under the flooring, Rosa tells me. All the ceilings are beamed. I notice each beam is unique in size. Most of the beams are big round tree trunks of varying circumference, although I spotted one square beam.


The family has taken seats on the two couches in the small living room. I notice an Apple power cord resting on a side table. A nice fire is burning in a fireplace. A big screen tv. Simple and cozy. I love the floor.


There is some tense family discussion taking place here. Marina is unusually calm and quiet...which sends me a strong signal. She is seriously worried about the current situation. Primo is on his feet, not pacing but tense. Mario and Marta have now arrived. This is a family pow wow.

I can see it's a good idea for me to continue the house tour while the family discussion continues. Zio has a sweet office with a leather easy chair and fireplace. On a bookshelf is his hobby, an open accordion!

We peak upstairs at the master bedroom and another bedroom where one 30 something son still lives. I love this house! We find a sleepy cat curled up on a chair.

The dogs calmed down, but want to go out. We look out the back door. There's a patio, but behind that is an enormous plot of land. I want to go outside with the dogs to look around..but sadly we stay indoors.

Those chestnuts are now in the fireplace roasting. The smell is heavenly. Chestnuts are not my favorite food, but I do enjoy buying a small envelope of them in Firenze. On a cold day, they warm your hands too.


When the chestnuts were cooked, we all moved into the kitchen. Zio dumped the chestnuts into a large ceramic bowl. We sat at the table and helped ourselves, peeling each chestnut with our fingers. I noticed he handed some peeled treats to the dogs who had been patiently awaiting their share.

The family discussion continues. Suddenly it's over. I think Primo is done talking and listening. Marta gets in our car, while Mario heads home, to watch sports, I think. We spend a very quiet 20 minutes, driving home. But instead of arriving at home, we stop at the train station. Marta has been nominated to come with me. Marina is still worried about my train tickets.

It's Sunday at 5.30 and there are lots of people in the Cremona station. We waited in line and spoke to the ticket agent. He needs my identity papers to give me a refund before he can reissue the tickets. He is satisfied to use Marta's papers. I have my driver's license which I think would be ok, but he doesn't want to wait for me to fish it out of my hidden, under my clothes, secret pouch.

In the end, the ticket agent decides my tickets will be just fine. Although the computer said I change at Parma, I need to change at Fidenza, the station before Parma. It's the same connections I had arriving here, but in the reverse order.

Ok, I asked Marta, what are we going to tell your mother? She said, you must not be afraid of her.

When we got in the car, Marta announced 'Tutto a posto!' and there was no further discussion. Everything is in order!

We went home and had a quiet dinner of yummy homemade pizza. Mario joined us later and brought a chocolate torta his mother had sent home. The chocolate cake had a layer of thinly sliced apples running through the middle. I love torta of any flavor. They're never frosted, but instead dusted with powdered sugar.


I brought out the little French mouse I bought today.  The toy store was open on Sunday!


I said my goodbyes to everyone before going to bed. It was decided that Mario will come by at 7.20 to pick me up and deliver me to the train station.


No comments:

Post a Comment