Friday, June 22, 2012

28 November 2011 Traveling Cremona to Firenze

The train for Cremona to Parma/Fidenza is easy, as long as one looks gets to the station early and then sees that Binario 1 is really Binario 1 Ovest, which is hidden on the far side of the station. The automated sign is clear, but I couldn't see it from the main entrance. Mornings, all the platforms are crowded with students and businessmen.

Mario arrived at 7.15 to pick me up. I was totally packed and ready. He dropped me off in front of the train station and will be continuing on to his workplace, a drive of 20 minutes by car. His childhood home is the also the seat of his family business. His mother is happy she can prepare him lunch every work day.

Mario can fix anything! This weekend, I noticed Marina, his mother-in-law, had put a broken serving dish aside, along with a package of superglue. Mario was busy repairing it last night.

Marina always seems surprised I wake up at 6.00 to get ready on my traveling days. We have this discussion every time. I cannot bear to travel without clean hair and clothes. My Italian is better now and this time, I could explain this is my normal work schedule in the US. She gave me a sack lunch of pizza, fruit and a big piece of the chocolate-apple torta which Mario's mother sent over to us last night.

The transfer from Fidenza at Bologna was not easy today. My information was wrong, even though Marta and I checked at the station yesterday. I couldn't find the Napoli bound fast train which makes a stop in Bologna and then SMN in Firenze. I asked a train employee for help and he said 'Binario 6, subito!' as he made a hand gesture to go down the stairs and through the tunnel and back up to platform 6, where I could see a EuroStar train sitting.

Subito means right away, urgently right away. Dragging a 50 pound bag up and down two flights of steps cannot be done, subito. I missed the 10.26 train. I think I would have missed it even if I had just been running without a bag to slow me down.

I checked the schedule and found another EuroStar bound for SMN via a train heading to Napoli at 10.45. Here in Italy if one misses the train, there is no one to come to your rescue. Italians know how to find another solution. No need to panic. Another train, another route. It's the traveler's responsibility to figure it out.

I decided I needed to buy another suitcase today in Firenze. I've been passing the same vendor since last week, looking and comparing prices. I only need something cheap to transport once. It was closing time today and he sold me a nice large bag I've seen for 35€ for 20€. I repacked at the hotel this afternoon and everything fits.

Tomorrow I'm spending the day in Arezzo with two of Leo's students. It's a one hour trip. I arrive there at 10.15am. Cost of the ticket 5.90€ each way. Laura is taking the bus from her village and Sara works in Arezzo. I'm excited we can all have lunch together. The last time we were all together was a trip to Death Valley with Leo.





No comments:

Post a Comment