Saturday, November 30, 2013

Thursday, Nov 28 Thanksgiving and Errands in Firenze

I slept 12 hours late night so I was late starting this morning.  At 11.00 Alessio gave me a left behind bag from their storage closet.  I packed it with 30 pounds of books and DVDs. 


(Red postal boxes in background.)

I went to the L'Ufficiale Postale for my very first time mailing packages. Alessio is an open encyclopedia of information. One can buy all the packing materials (envelopes or boxes) there. In addition they sell books, DVDs and board games. No pictures allowed inside. 

I first found the counter for purchases. No need to take a number for this line. A woman was waiting as I approached. 'There is never anyone at this counter. Every time I come, I have to wait.'  This ordinary everyday statement was a thrill for me! I understood every word she said. 

Observing other people going about their business is an excellent way to learn and  maybe that's why I have such good time. Learn by observation, just as a child does. 

When a woman went into the space behind the counter to fetch a mailing envelope, I followed and choose two of the same. I was mailing a baby quilt to one of Alessandro's students and a American  deodorant, See's Candy chocolate Santas and a bottle of pumpkin pie spice to an American acquaintance in Milano.   

When a woman stood in line, I stood behind her. We didn't have to wait long for a clerk to arrive. The mailing envelopes cost around 3€. 

I sealed the bags and went looking for the machine which dispenses numbers. One has three choices: pay bills or banking services, mail normal packages, mail with special delivery options. A ticket is dispensed. One sits and waits. The sportelli or windows seem to be specialized.  As I waited my turn, I addressed the packages, giving the hotel as my return address. The window for stamps only requires no number. 

There were three clerks at the packages windows. When my number displayed, I approached the counter. First I said, 'I'm not Italian and this is my first time sending a package. Do you need my passport?' I find it's better to be direct and polite. 

It was a very pleasant experience.  I asked about how long it would take for delivery. 3 to 5 days. I thanked him for his help and commented that I felt their service was more organized than ours. True! 




At 12.30 I was standing in line for the trippa panino. Cost was still 3€ 50. I need to find out if I'm loving trippa or is it actually lampredotto. 



I sat at their tables and enjoyed my sandwich. A older gypsy woman walked up and down the line of waiting people. She was persistent, not like the younger girls who half heartedly shake the change in their cups. Finally the manger of the stand came out and yelled really loudly at her back, as she was walking away:  VAI VIIIAAA!!!  (Go away!!)

Shortly after, an older man playing an accordion was serenading us. He was nicely dressed with crisply pressed pants. He and the manger exchanged  greetings. 

With a pleasantly full stomach I strolled the market until closing time at 2. I collected pictures and some spice packets. 







Outside at the mercato at Borgo San Lorenzo I found a scarf stand I really liked. In front stood a dandy and his entourage. The cart attendant was draping a scarf around the guy's neck.   He (not the clerk) was dressed in a light grey suit, handkerchief protruding from his jacket pocket, sunglasses and a Luis Vuitton man purse and black gloves. His girl was wrapped in fur lined coat. Money money money but such snobs. 

After they had made their purchases, I stepped in and bought a few scarves. Such nice quality of silk, cotton, wool. All made in Firenze. 

I next went to the Vodafone store. It's my fault my cell phone number has been deactivated. I must have forgotten to add money to the phone card last May. The phone number can be kept active if it has money applied to it at least once a year. I missed the deadline by just a few days. 

Classroom Italian is not street Italian! The young woman helping me spoke not a word of Engish but we could understand each other in Italian. She made a phone call explaining the problem.  I had to talk to a customer service rep. It's not easy over the phone! Yes, my phone number was no longer active. But, it was possible to activate it. I had to wait until the next day and then go back to Vodafone and put money on the card. While we waited, I had a nice personal conversation.  People are people, no matter where you are. 

I'm sure there is a nightly maintenance run, which should reactive the number, which will allow me to add money.  

I had made arrangements to have tea and cookies with Emiliano and his wife Caterina. I raced there from Vodafone. They live in the San Frediano quartiere. 


I arrived at 4.30, just after Grazia had returned home from school. Emiliano came home early from his job as an elementary school teacher. 

I took (Italian) books to Grazia who is now 3 years old and Angelo who is 9 months and just walking. The children are adorable. Grazia remembered me from my March visit, which made me so happy.  Both children have quilts I made.  

Grazia attends school from 9-4 and it's mandatory.  Italians strongly believe in nurturing children's social skills and putting their children out into the community to make friends. These friendships often last lifetimes.  This early education also prepares the child for academic learning, which I believe starts at 5 years. 

Both children are already bilingual, Italian and Sardo. 

I look forward to our twice a year tea. Emiliano was a student and later a colleague of Alessandro's. I visited for almost two hours. I may have an opportunity to visit next summer in Sardegna! Hoping it will happen!




Walking home along the street which becomes Via Santo Spirito, I had an experience. I came home and got online at TripAdvisor and wrote this:

It's Thanksgiving Day and this owner personifies the meaning of this day.
 
Nov 28, 2013
Tonight, while walking to my hotel after visiting friends in the neighborhood, I was drawn to the display in the window of this trattoria. While taking pictures, I saw the most delicious looking Torta di mele. I took more pictures. The cake drew me into the restaurant. I apologize now for intruding during the staff meal time. Four faces looked up at me. I realized my mistake. In Italian I asked if it was torta di mele and if I could purchase a piece for take away. I was embarrassed and started to back out of the shop. Instead, the owner left his dinner, came toward me, picked up a napkin and cut me a piece. Thank you for your kindness and generosity on this Thanksgiving evening. This torta and a glass of milk marks a special Thanksgiving dinner for me to remember. 

Grazie di cuore al simpatico gentile uomo! Buon giorno di ringrazimento <3



La Bottega di Mastro Guipetto, Via Santo Spirito



Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment