Saturday, November 30, 2013

Friday, Nov 29, train travel to Cremona


9.22 and I've successfully boarded the train from Bologna to Milano, the Frecciabianca. 


Incredible that I just heard and understood the automated announcement stating the train approach had been changed from binario 3 to the adjoining binario 4. Luckily they share the same platform. The crowd just moved two feet to left of 3 and we were standing at 4. Thank goodness it didn't require going up and down stairs at the last minute. 

When I arrived in Bologna, I first thought I had jumped off at the wrong place. I couldn't see any signage. It looked like a construction site. Believe what you are seeing. This was the new train station, still under construction. It was so easy to navigate. First I found the paper schedule to find the binario for Milano (to arrive in Parma).  It was too early to be displayed on the electronic boards. 



Then I followed the signs for Binario 3. Up one elevator and then two escalators. The new station is really deep underground. Finally, I could see the sun and I found my bearings. 


While I waited directly in front of the elevator for binario 3 and 4, a pleasant gypsy approached me and with hand motions he offered to carry my bag up the stairs, which were just exactly to my right. I pointed to the elevator in front of me, with a surprised look on my face. When he walked off, a lady next to me rolled her eyes. It was such a wasted approach for him.  


I'm wearing my movers' back brace. A man offered to help me as I pulled the bag up onto the train. As soon as he touched it he made a comment. I only understood the word 'dead'.  The meaning was clear!

I'm sitting in seat 20, not my assigned      4. There's a nice spot at my right arm to keep the bag with me. I didn't see any luggage rack when I climbed aboard. It's probably at the other end of the car. I haven't seen a pattern of where the racks are located. 

I don't feel constrained by rules as I used to be when traveling. Life is more flexible here. Is the street light red for you? Cross anyhow if it's safe. Is your assigned train seat already occupied? Find another seat. 

10.22. On the train for Bresia. There's no elevator at Parma. Maybe in the future though. I saw some construction which looked like elevators. For the first time, I tried to use the stair lift for disabled but I didn't have time to work it out. 

I lifted one the bag up, one step a time. I was 8 steps from the top when a girl called down. Do you need help?  If she had asked sooner I would have paid her. As it was I was 3/4 of the way up. I was motivated too! I could see the very old train waiting. With 4 minutes to spare, I was on board. 

Now I really have to watch the time and the stations. I've never come this way before. There are lots of small country stations along this track. 

Two big police officers and the capotreno have just passed by going to the back of the train. This train only has three cars. We all looked, trying to see more. They must have boarded at the last stop. 


Just before disembarking at Piadina, the capotreno came by to check tickets.  I was standing at the door because my watch told me my 11.00 stop was coming up. The door opened, I saw it was not Piadina. An older man jumped off, realized his mistake and tried to get back on. The doors had already started to close. He put his briefcase into the space and I tried to force the doors back open. No luck. Fortunately the capotreno was still closeby.  She came running with her round override key. She didn't admonish him, but just walked into the next car. 

11.08 -- I had either missed my stop or we were a little late. When the capotreno passed by again I asked. She kindly corrected my pronunciation. It's PI A di na  not Pia DI na like the sandwich.  Next stop. 

I need to ask my family if one can stamp all tickets at the departing station. It would save me time. 

I waited on the Piadina platform for the train to Cremona. I'm on the train fir Cremona! I've made every connection.

I love watching the countryside passing by.






Cremona ----

took my time walking home from the station. The train let us off in the binario nearest to the road. I didn't need to carry the bag down any stairs. 


Lunchtime is 1.00 and Marina was expecting me. I had turned on my iPhone and sent Marta a text message.


I rang the outside bell on the gate at home and Marina buzzed me into the courtyard. The door for the building was also unlatched automatically when the outside gate opened. 

I could hear Baby G happily babbling. As usual I took the elevator to the wrong floor and Marina knew it! She could hear the elevator going up and down, twice. 

When its doors opened on the correct floor, there she was, waiting, with an eye on Baby G, who was standing in the apartment doorway, curiously watching my arrival. Big hugs!!  It's been 6 months since I've seen him. He's walking, running and flirting. Adorable!!

I arranged the things I had brought on my bed while Marina fixed lunch. 


Then suddenly Primo was home for lunch, just as he is every work day. Hugs all around. I love my Italian family. 


The new olive oil us so good! On his iPhone, Primo tells me he gets it from this place. The reason olive oil from Tuscany is the best, is because the olives are smaller, but full of oil. Hand picking also produces a better product. 



Marina suggests I 'riposare' with TV while we wait for Marta to finish her teaching workday. She will eat lunch as soon as she walks home, around 2.00.

This house is so relaxing to me. I'm home. I watched Bernadetta's cooking show as I waited for Marta. Marina likes to do kitchen cleanup alone.  


Hugs again when Marta arrives. She is famished. There is no snacking here. When one sits down at meal, eating is done seriously. The food is beautiful, delicious and healthy. 

Marta is always excited to receive See's candy and cooking supplies from Williams Sonoma. I also brought Christmas idea magazines and other goodies I knew she would love, including a copper turkey cookie cutter. 

After putting Baby G down for a nap, Marta and I walked from Marina's apartment to Mario and Marta's new home. Boxes are still everywhere and the kitchen is almost done.  The colors and tile work in the bathrooms are fabulous. 





We spent the afternoon unpacking a few more things. Marta and Mario are excited about living in a climate controlled home. The windows are draft free and the whole apartment was pleasantly warm, even though it's cold and rainy outside. We had taken our muddy shoes off and I wore a pair of Mario's Crocs. 

Marta asked me how Americans can move so often! Marina, her mother, has never moved. Yes, she moved into her marriage apartment, where she still lives with Primo, but that wasn't a move of every single object. She was a bride. 

It's as if I've haven't been gone for six months. We talk and talk while we work. Something is missing. The little cleaning bot (robot). We open every single cupboard and box, trying to locate it. Hopefully it will turn up. 

---
Back at Primo and Marina's home and it's 6.30. I am starving. I ask Marta for a piece of cheese or anything! There's cheese in the fridge, help yourself. Ahh, the advantage if living near Parma. I'm in heaven with this cheese. 


8.00 

Dinner time and Rosa is joining us. I brought her similar gifts from Williams Sonoma and maple syrup. Mario arrives.  For him, I brought a car magazine he likes. 

Mattia is working until 11.00 tonight. 

Dinner was yummy pasta e fagioli soup, torta salata, greens drizzled with olive oil. For dessert, we spooned Nutella into bread. 

At 10 pm I was sound asleep, so grateful to be back home, surrounded by loving family. 





Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment