Monday, November 25, 2013

Sunday, Nov 24, 30th Annual a Firenze Marathon

I

At 9.00 this morning the 30th Annual Firenze Marathon started. I read the course is just over 42 kilometers. (.61 miles per kilometer)




I'm just an observer here at 11.00. This morning I crossed over the course near Ponte Trinità and walked toward Piazza Santo Spirito, checking to make sure there was not a mercato in the piazza. The piazza was empty. 

While walking I heard music, followed the sound and came upon a band set up in front of and across from Palazzo Pitti. The joggers just keep coming from my left. 


The joggers are clapping for this band, which is playing enthusiastic music. There must be thousands of joggers this year. (Fact check: 10,500+)

The crowd is clapping to the music, giving encouragement to the runners.  There are of all ages of men and women, both joggers and band members. (I read Italian officials require a medical certificate for all participants running in this race.)


It's 11.30 and they just keep coming. Lots of locals are out supporting these hearty souls. Constant shouts of vai vai!! (Go on, you can do it !)

I've walked a few yards down toward the Arno River.  An all youth band is playing here. The runners really love this showing of support. 


Just passing by are runners pushing friends in wheel chairs. It's really heart warming to watch this. A runner has stopped to kiss his family. Two runners holding hands pass-by.   A Japanese runner smiles to her friends holding up a sign, crayoned with the flag of Japan. 

The course continues right over Ponte Vecchio. There is room on one side for pedestrians to pass, single file. Someone is trying to push a bicycle through. I imagine for residents it's frustrating to try to move about the city for these few hours. 


It's impossible to cross over the race course now. The runners are close together and the carabinieri closely guard the course. (I did not see any heavily armed police. I'm sure they're here undercover). This morning I saw a FaceBook posting by Mayor Matteo Renzi that he was unable to run, due to commitments in Rome. I really love this mayor.  

The only area open for walking is up, along the sidewalk on the bank of the Arno River. 


It was my plan to walk to the last Sunday of the month antique flea market in the Sant'Ambrogio area. Impossible at this point. There is a steady stream of runners and no openings to cross.

I chanced upon the finish line near Piazza Santa Croce.  Along the river is a long line of trucks which were each marked with a range of runners' numbers.   Hanging on racks inside were goodie bags. 


Nearby was a huge tent where those who had finished were changing into fresh clothes. It's not freezing cold today but it is chilly.  There were several Mesericordia attendants ministering to injuries. 



(From wiki: Misericordia is the Latin for "mercy", derived from misericors, "merciful", which is in turn derived from misereri, "to pity", and cor, "heart". In Medieval Latin, the word "misericordia" denoted various merciful things, and these senses were borrowed into English (AHD).)

I walked all the way to Ponte San Nicolo, the bridge after Santa Croce before I was able to head left. 

It's so quiet, there is no car or moto traffic within a very large area of the city. 

The race course snakes thoughout the entire centro area. I had to cross the course once again before I could reach the Piazza Sant'Ambrogio. At the first crossing I've seen for blocks,  a carabinieri officer told me when it was safe to cross. I needed to wait 10 minutes before a brief opening appeared. The runners were looking really fatigued. They had about three more blocks to reach the finish line.  


I found the flea market. Of course only locals were strolling through.  I bought nothing but I always enjoy the experience. 



For breakfast I had had yogurt, milk and two biscuits in my room. But by 2 I was hungry. I passed by the Roticereria where I've had take out before. I was too crowded. I decided to try the Trattoria Cesarino, where I've eaten before with Alessandro. It was a good choice. 



They sat me in the back room and I thought sadly I might be alone. But just as my tortellini with gorgonzola and red radicchio was served, three families arrived with four young boisterous boys and a girl. It was interesting watching them. So much laughter and energy. The children all ate the same, a big plate of pasta with a simple red sauce. The children are all at one table to my right. Two of the fathers are wearing marathon jackets.  So this is a celebration dinner. 




Also on my table, a bottle of this season's freshly pressed olive oil. I wanted to pour it over everything. It has a wonderful spicy almost bitter taste, a sure sign it's super fresh. 



I really wasn't hungry for dessert, but I wanted to linger. I had a hot torta, with chocolate sauce on top. I've put most of it in a napkin for breakfast tomorrow.  


A Zio has just arrived with his wife. After he kissed some of the children, the couple stood at the adult table talking.  

Ohhh now the children each have plates of French fries. Some ketchup and mayonnaise from plastic packets.  


A glass has just gone flying accidentally and after inspection by a stern father, it's been determined nothing is broken. A young 8 year old has been given a clean wine goblet by his mother. He has successfully filled it with water. The children have been seated this entire time. 

Wishing I could stay and observe. I've tried not to stare. I don't want to give the impression that I'm disturbed by the action. I love it. 


Now all the children have wine glasses filled with water and toasting each other. The water containers lay  crushed on the table. Such an adorable combination of sophistication and innocence. The adults have been watchful but not hovering. Che divertente! How fun this lunch turned out to be. 

It's 3.15 and the waitress has seen I'm really enjoying this. There's been no rush to bring me the bill. This is the culture I love.  I wish I wasn't an outsider. 


The marathon appears to be over. Street sweeping machines are already at work and city trucks are collecting the barriers which contained the course. 

There are still a few hours left to run errands. 

---- 

I could spend hours in this place!!





I was so happy to see the fresh olive oil was still available. Last night as I passed by they were packing up. I tasted my way around the event and selected an organic liter can. Yummm 


I bought from this stand because I liked this couple. All the samples tasted good to me, so I bought based on personality. 





Just in time for a sunset picture!



And lately, a quick Sunday night stop at Conad for yogurt and milk.



Jumped onto my Vespa for a little ride home. In my dreams!!

Notte


Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment