Saturday, November 2, 2013

28 April, Cremona


This morning I heard the church bells, waking me. I rolled up the metal shutters in my room to let the sunshine in fully. I sleep with my balcony door open and the air comes in through the slats of the forest green shutters. Primo knows my secret. Probably Marina does too, but she lets it go. During many visits she's warned me for the dangers of both night air and (acrobatic) intruders. Now she knows I am desperate for fresh air.

I need to decide whether to leave my old travel hair dryer here or take it back to the US. Alessandro and I bought it together many years ago. I remember trying to use it the next day and the plug would not fit into the hotel's electrical socket. We had not realized it was German. I had to go to the hardware store in Firenze to purchase a converter. Marta has gifted me a new pink hairdryer! It's time to let my old one go.

Many of the good quality appliances here are German made. For this reason in Rosa's newly remodeled kitchen, there is a bank of outlets, to accommodate both Italian and German plugs. Smart!!


Today is Sunday and the church bells have been ringing all morning.  Primo and Marina have just returned from attending mass. They left me alone at 8.15. Our schedules work for sharing the bathrooms. 




I am leaving soon to attend the 10.00 services with Rosa. I think Mattia will be playing his guitar, sitting with the choir. 


I had a very good grammar lesson from Rosa yesterday. When one speaks of past events one had with someone no longer of this world or of someone you no longer live with (divorced) one uses the Imperfetto verb tense. This is the experience one receives during immersion. Book learning only goes so far. Please let me stay here for a long time!!

I told Rosa yesterday, I cannot live in Cremona. I would be over at someone's house way too often. 

After church today, Rosa and I walked to the city central area. It was sunny until we reached back home! Rain again and then sun breaks through. I know there's a rainbow out there. This weekend is the Plant Invasion show. The entire street has been turned into a plant market. Some shops are open too, which is not normal for Sunday. This is not a tourist town and normally only bookstores, gelato shops, bars, pastry and bread shops are open.





I couldn't get my camera ready fast enough to catch a man riding a bike and holding a small sapling. There is no car traffic today. Everyone is on foot or biking. There was also a marathon which took place earlier this morning. 

This family and I are so connected, liking the same things. Yesterday I stopped to look at a display of shopping carts. I have one for porting groceries from the car parking lot up to my apartment. It's really a time saver for city dwellers.  Today Rosa stopped at the same shop I had looked into and bought herself a shopping cart. Hers is Italian and much cuter than mine. Also hers has a extra wheel to facilitate going down stairs.


The family owns this floor in the apartment building. Primo grew up here, but after his marriage, the flat was divided into two homes.  Lunch at 1 was being served between the two facing apartments today. The door bell has been ringing as people passed back and forth. For the first course, we had warmed over pasta from last night (this recipe is better the second day!) and salad on Rosa's side. For the second course, the door bell rang and Marina brought us roast, sliced with plenty of flowing juices. 

Then for dessert, we went to them, where four types of dessert were waiting. I chose the rhum torta. Also there was cubed fruit called Macedonia. I also saw apple strudel and fruit crostata. 


Marina was hosting a Sunday lunch for her childhood friend, who now lives in Bologna. The table was beautifully set, formally.  Also attending, another couple I know from Cremona. It was decided and I agreed that I would be in Rosa's lunch. 

For a while baby G was at both lunches. We had him sitting on the table, sort of being passed around. Such a happy baby. He sings himself to sleep. 

I'm thinking one of the reasons there is so much extra time here, is because we can walk to complete so many errands. Time is saved, stress from traffic and rushing around is eliminated and one gets plenty of exercise. Then, at meal time, one is ready to eat. 

This newly renovated apartment of Rosa and Mattia still contains the light fixtures from Nonna. Otherwise, everything was redone right down to the brick.



6.00 on a Sunday night. With peaceful playing in the background, the sun is shining with a wonderful soft light. perfect for painting 'plein air'.  This light makes me wish I had watercolors and some talent. 

Mario and Mattia are sitting in front of me, taking apart Marta's broken phone. Two men, strangers before and now friends because their wives are sisters. So nice to observe their easy friendship. And, I quietly sit here just two yards from them and I am also accepted into their circle. Do they appreciate the peace right here at this moment?  I've taken their picture to save the moment. And sent it to Mattia. Then Mattia secretly did the same to me.

----
We spent a quiet evening making and eating pizza. Leftover desserts for lunch were divided up. Not a crumb is left. Everyone went their separate ways at 9.30. I'm packed with one heavy bag and the overflow will need to travel in a heavy duty grocery sack.

Mario will take me to the station at 7.20 am. 

My Italian, while not near 100% is getting to be passable. 

Tomorrow I travel to Firenze via Parma and Bologna

No comments:

Post a Comment