Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Sunday, Dec 1, A day in Riomaggiore - Cinque Terre

I was ready to leave at 8.30 to drive to Cinque Terre with Mattia and Rosa.  I saw Marina was smartly dressed in nice jeans and a just right waist length mink. The look was simple and elegant. 

Mattia was running a little late so I waited with Rosa across the hall in their apartment. I saw she had changed her window treatments. Their apartment is sunny, cheery and warm. 




Their Christmas stockings which I made last year, '...where hung by the chimney with care, in hopes that Saint Nicolas would soon be there.'  Rosa said Baby G loves to play with the stockings. They're hung where he can safely reach them. 


We locked up and went out to the car, which needs to be parked on the street. 

Mattia adjusted his Garmin mapping device, Rosa scrapped ice off the windshield and we were off. Mattia drove, Rosa was in front, I sat in the back.

We took a small country road for ten minutes before pulling into a parking lot. I had missed some conversation! I had no idea where we were or why. Rosa had already gone ahead and had disappeared inside the building, which looked like a school. Maybe we were meeting friends for our trip to Riomaggiore in Cinque Terre? 

So I asked Mattia, 'Where are we and why we here?' 'Cremona. We're going to mass,' he said. 


We walked in and yes, it was a very modern church, the architecture inside and out almost identical to the Newport Beach, California Catholic Church. We joined Rosa, with Mattia sitting between us. I had picked up a program so I could follow along. Thankfully, because the acoustics were really echoey and I had difficulty understanding. 


There is a point during the mass, when one turns to neighbors in nearby pews to shake their hands, saying 'pace' or peace. I turned to the pew behind us and there sat Marina and Primo! What a surprise! 

I asked Mattea, what was the significance of attending mass at this particular church, instead of our normal location, located just twenty steps from home? Answer: it's a short mass, which starts at 9.00. 

Later, outside we waved goodbye to Primo and Marina and with the Garmin programmed for Riomaggiore, we set off for a Sunday outing. It should take about 1.5 hours to reach the coast. 

We passed through several tunnels under the L'Appennino settentrionale (Appenine) Mountain range, heading toward the sea.


These mountains divide this part of Italy in a climatic way. We passed snow at the sides of the road and in the distance, all the mountain peaks were white. The coastal areas enjoy a warmer, protected climate where it's usually sunny. I saw several overhead traffic announcements, warning drivers of high winds and a message to 'drive with prudence.'




We stopped at Sarni, a roadside rest stop where one can get a fast coffee or snack. I bought a snack and CD of my favorite singing group, while Rosa and Mattia had coffees.




From the car window, I saw the commercial port of La Spezia. It is also home of Italy's chief naval station. Mattia put on a CD and we listened to Paolo Conti and drove toward Riomaggiore. Along the road, green or orange collection nets were still neatly wrapped and draped among the olive trees. Olives are hand picked to ensure a better quality olive oil. Harvest has just taken place during these last few weeks. 

The road in is very narrow, with no place to stop for pictures. 



We descended down into Riomaggiore, paid at the access gate and parked the car. 

And then we walked for the rest of the day, until sunset. The skies were clear and it was sunny but a little brisk. 

The picturesque town appeared almost abandoned. Most all the shops and restaurants have signs on the doors, showing return dates. Mattia reminded me the date 6-12-13 means a return date of December 12, 2013! But many shops showed dates ending with 2014. 

But it was Sunday, the traditional day shops are normally closed in non-tourist towns. 

We saw only a handful of tourists all day. And they also struggled to get some good photographs. The light over the sea was so bright and the many step steps and small alleys, called carrugi were dark in contrast. 













For lunch both Mattia and I chose 'Calamarata.'  I ate every morsel. The calamari was probably caught fresh this morning by local fishermen. Rosa had the mixed deep fried fish, which I really wanted. When I eat out in Italy I always feel I must choose a dish I can try to recreate at home. Rosa generously shared hers with me. Fabulous! 






















On the way home, a quick stop at another Sarni rest stop for a coffee and cornetto. 


At 8.15 we arrived back home in Cremona. Hot homemade pizza was waiting for us. 


After all around hugs and goodbyes, Baby G was bundled up for the short drive to his new home. It's so hard to leave this family. One day I hope to live closer, for at least part of the year. 

I finished packing and set my alarm for 6 am. Rosa will take me to the train station in the morning. 

~~.~~.~~

From Britanica.com

Apennine Range, also called the Apennines, Italian Appennino, series of mountain ranges bordered by narrow coastlands that form the physical backbone of peninsular Italy. From Cadibona Pass in the northwest, close to the Maritime Alps, they form a great arc, which extends as far as the Egadi Islands to the west of Sicily. Their total length is approximately 870 miles (1,400 kilometres), and their width ranges from 25 to 125 miles. Mount Corno, 9,554 feet (2,912 metres), is the highest point of the Apennines proper on the peninsula. The range follows a northwest–southeast orientation as far as Calabria, at the southern tip of Italy; the regional trend then changes direction, first toward the south and finally westward.

No comments:

Post a Comment