Monday, October 28, 2013

25 April 2013, Liberation Day in Italy



In Italy, today is a national holiday to commemorate Liberation Day.

This poem was posted on Facebook this morning:

Avevo due paure
La prima era quella di uccidere
La seconda era quella di morire
Avevo diciassette anni
Poi venne la notte del silenzio
In quel buio si scambiarono le vite
Incollati alle barricate alcuni di noi morivano d’attesa
Incollati alle barricate alcuni di noi vivevano d’attesa
Poi spuntò l’alba
Ed era il 25 Aprile

Giuseppe Colzani

~~.~~ 
I had two fears
The first was that of killing
The second was that of dying
I was 18 years old
Then came the night of silence
In that dark they exchanged their lives
Stuck to the barricades some of us lost our lives waiting
Stuck to the barricades some of us died waiting
Then dawn appeared
And it was the 25th of April

Giuseppe Colzani

It was cold last night. I needed to find another blanket before opening the window.  At 8.30 this morning, both Primo and Marina were dressed and ready for the day. After a breakfast of focaccia and orange juice, I also prepared to go out. Last night I did a load of laundry in Rosa's washing machine and then hung everything on her portable drying rack. It was ok to leave the clothes outside overnight. I've run out of clean clothes.
 
At 9.30 we took two cars to meet the developer at Marta and Mario's new home, which is under construction. It fronts on a wooded protected preserve. It's very nice with a huge terrace. Marta loves gardening and I think this is her dream terrace. While out walking one day, she noticed the construction project and when they checked further, there was a perfect unit still available. This is the second of three apartments in the development. It turns out the man who met us there this morning is also a client of Primo's company. Small world.

They can move in around August, but the final completion date for landscaping and final touches is planned for October.
Primo suggests I could find a small unit in the next phase of construction. When I win the lottery, I told him.

Their Australian 'sister' now teaches Italian. She lived with here as a young exchange student with the family for a whole year.  In recent years, they have visited her in Australia. She and her husband, along with their small children, are making plans to rent an apartment here in Cremona for six months.

I am imagining how wonderful this would be.

After the walk through, we drove off in different directions. I don't think Marina feels good. I can now pick up the meanings of conversations sometimes, even if they speak at a normal pace.

With the baby, the four of us went to SuperCoop shopping complex. It was warm today and we all eventually took off our sweaters. I have a shopping list. One saves a lot of money at this Coop. I bought pasta, tuna, chocolate spread, chocolate, soup mixes, olives, lasagne pasta and KitKat for my son, Chris. The KitKat here is made with Swiss chocolate.

I had a surprising conversation with a man on the pasta aisle. He asked me if number 5 spaghetti was the thinnest. I blurted out 'I'm not Italian' which he either could not understand or it wasn't important. He was really stressing about that spaghetti.  No one was around to help me. So I looked closer and found a see-through box of another brand of spaghetti. I showed him number 3 was definitely thinner than number 5. He was grateful for the help. Then, I ran off to find my family. SuperCoop is a huge crowded place.

We loaded up our groceries and left the parking lot, speeding down the highway, with a hungry baby on the verge, when I discovered my sunglasses and case were missing from my purse. My favorite black with rhinestones, Dolce e Gabana sunglasses. 'Oh no!! Ho perso i miei occhiali da sole!!'

With no hesitation, Marta said, we'll go right back.  Mario turned the car around and found parking close to the entrance. Rosa and I raced back in and just as we reached the register, the young cashier, held out the case towards us. Then, I remembered placing the case on the counter when I dug into my purse for some hidden money.

I thanked Mario for going back. I hate that my visit puts stress on him. His routine is changed, plus he's a new father. He's always so nice to me.  So patient and he hides that stress.



We all had lunch together: pan roasted potatoes with rosemary, roast chicken from Coop and fresh tomatoes.

Afterwards, Mario drove to work.

Mattia had to work all day and missed our activities. 

Rosa then stayed home to wash floors while Marta and I walked Baby G and groceries to her apartment.

It's such a nice pleasant dance with our family.  I pass from one person to another.  We group and regroup.  And when everyone is busy, I am free to wander off by myself.

Lots of people are out walking today and we found many shops to be open.
 
 
The piazzas were filled with people. I saw one Peace Now celebration in the park, with a younger crowd watching.  In the civic piazza, a small bandstand was setup. We missed the program.

I went back to the children's book store to buy the Italian audio book of 'The Language of Flowers' which I saw yesterday.   Tomorrow I'll search for the paperback.












We also stopped in at the Sperlari store.  I just discovered they have their manufacturing seat right here in Cremona.

I bought rum chocolates, my favorite. I had my very first rum chocolates in Strevi, many years ago. I love them!









In their window I saw Rotture uova (broken Easter eggs).  I went right back in and bought a chocolate bunny ear. The chocolate here is nothing like we can buy in the US. It's so fresh. Yumm. No need to worry about overeating...it's a bunny ear. But, it is from a big bunny!
  
The weather continued warm all day. All the gelaterias were crowded so we decided against gelato.

Later, we made pizza in Rosa's kitchen and Mario joined us for dinner. Marta had made an apple strudel, but we ate Sacher Torta, which Mario's mother sent.  She makes the BEST desserts.

We had such a fun evening, discussing grammar. They are correcting my Italian and I appreciate that so much.


9.15 and we are done for the day. I have not seen Mattia at all today. I saw Marina and Primo for only a few moments this evening, just to say goodnight.  Marta tells me, that the winter to spring seasonal change is difficult on Marina's body. It's been this way for years.

Be grateful for good health.

The Language of Flowers, in Italian


No comments:

Post a Comment