Sunday, September 22, 2013

19 April 2013 LAX to Firenze via Paris

It's 2 pm and my flight boards at 4.45. I left early for LAX airport today.  The Long Beach Grand Prix race starts tomorrow, but today Long Beach is already crowded with pre-race activities. I made one last trip to the store to get Marta some magazines she can cut up for her English classes. Only four magazines and it tipped me to 22.8K. I love my portable luggage scale. I can weigh my bag at home. It's accurate and cuts out all the overweight worries stress. 

I took the Super Shuttle to LAX. The driver was a nice Russian in his early 30's. I wondered if his father also has a van franchise. Alessandro had a nice long conversation once with an older Russian man, following the immigrant's dream of making money for a better life for his family. That's how I learned Supper Shuttle is a franchise. I'm thinking of the immigrant story in Boston.  Today's driver kept his conversation to the bare minimum, maybe hiding his accent. I wanted to talk to him, but I didn't want to link him to those two terrorist young men at the Boston Marathon. 

It took a good 30 minutes to walk from Security, through the new Bradley Terminal to reach Gate 130. All new and so nice. Now electricity is free and abundant in the gate waiting area. There is an electrical socket located under every three seats. Also they have the classes totally separated to make boarding easier. I guess there will be no more shouting to announce boarding by row number. Looks like they have copied Southwest Airlines boarding system.  Nice!

In the style of the airport in Rome, there will soon be shopping available, right in the boarding area. Still under construction today.

I changed what I usually do and watched a movie:  Barfi (R. Kapoor and P. Chopra) directed by Anurag Basu.  What a surprise. One of the best love stories I have ever seen on film. I need to buy this film. Charming, bittersweet, loving and wonderful all at the same time. Message: we don't know where true love will find us.

Paris. Now I know for sure it takes minimum of one hour to change connections. As usual, the race through the airport took a different route. I wonder if they are trying to confuse terrorists or they are just looking for a better way for an international transfer at Charles De Gaule.

This trip I had a two hour wait for the connection to Firenze. I couldn't sleep on the flight over because the airplane was huge!! 

The gap between the seat and window was too wide to lean in toward the window.  This was a monstrous two level Air France. I took a picture. I don't think I've been on this airship before. It holds over 500 passengers.

I had a Vanilla Yogurt at Bert's Cafè Contemporain at the 2G Terminal.  Yumm.




I slept soundly for two hours from Paris to Firenze, with the sun shinning warmly on my head. It was heavenly.

Now, at 8.00pm, I'm seeing Welcome Home (to Italy!) messages on Facebook. I love it here. I need more time.

I took a taxi (24 €) because I was too tired to take the cheap bus to the train station. The taxi had to crawl through the tourist crowds. Asumi greeted me at the stairs and carried my bag up to the hotel, since Alessio was out jogging. She told me occupancy is up and rising. This is good news.

I brought the usual tortillas and cheese, so they can make tacos. Instead of See's Candy, I brought them a mix of wasabi peas, nuts and raisins along with a container of candied pecans.  A sweet gift awaited me in my room.



At 5:00, one hour after touch down, I had changed clothes and started walking. Edison, my favorite bookstore is still empty and boarded over. I heard there was a lawsuit filed, saying their loss of lease was illegal, but that could take years to settle. Rumors in November were that Apple wanted the location and pulled some political strings. The building is still empty, so Edison employees are not working but neither are Apple employers. 



I saw a shortcut during my taxi ride, and walked it back to Kiko. Laura took me here several years ago. It's very small, always crowded and sells Italian lipsticks, eye makeup and nail polish. A very tall, jacketed African man guards the entire store. With his height, he towers over us all. He's always friendly and I heard him welcoming me. Nice multitasking! They've copied the Gucci guard technic. I love to watch and listen to the Italian girls as they try the make-up. When I come with Laura, I can be a part if that experience.  I saw women today of all ages. Almost forgot, lots of rocking music too. I love this store. I picked up two lip gloss. 4.95€ each. 

Feltrinelli Liberia, a bookstore, is located on the same street. I picked up Non Ti Muovere, a book I need to read for my Italian class in Los Angeles.  I also found a book on various types of pesto, a Valentina book I'm missing, and a new mystery writer, Valerio Varesi. I have a frequent buyer card that gives me discounts. 

I had dinner at Trattoria Le Antiche Carrozze on Via Santissimi Apostoli, 66

I always have my first meal here. The food is good and authentic. Tonight I had spinach ricotta raviolini with meat ragù, a whole bottle of water and torta del nonno for dessert. I took half the water and half the torta back to my hotel room, for a middle of the night snack. 



At 8.00 I was tucked into bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment