Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Remembering my Italian Nonno


~~~ Nonno Andrea ~~~

Our wonderful Nonno passed on Monday.  Rosa wrote to me last week to give me warning that the time was near.  The doctors said his heart was failing.  Marta emailed me on Monday to tell me the time had arrived. I'm sure angels and his sweetheart Marina were waiting in anticipation for him.  We didn't want to let him go.

I remember the first time I met my Italian Nonno.  He greeted me just as if had been a long lost relative.

He always had a happy smile and a twinkle in his eyes.

 I've had several tasty roasted treats directly from the grill in the wood-burning oven in his restaurant. He would spear a piece of meat and indicate I should eat it right then.  Mangia Mangia!  Ohh it was always tasty but fire-hot!

I went to his garden, where he allowed me to cut lettuce.  With that great smile, he showed me how he grew his own vegetables.

Once, he showed me the house in his village where he was born.

He was our darling Nonno. The girls adored him and so did I.

I was honored to be welcomed into his family.

I last saw Nonno at Rosa's wedding, when I took these pictures. 

He beamed with joy, surrounded by love.

Vai in pace Nonno

Padre nostro che sei nei Cieli, sia santificato il Tuo Nome, venga il tuo Regno, sia fatta la tua volontà, come in cielo così in terra. Dacci oggi il nostro pane quotidiano, rimetti a noi i nostri debiti come noi li rimettiamo ai nostri debitori, non ci indurre in tentazione, ma liberaci dal male. Amen.

1 comment: