Friday, July 2, 2010

May in Italy Wedding Day

I set my alarm to wake up early today. I wanted to shower and get ready first before the rush began. The wedding is at 4:30 this afternoon. But when I went over to Marina's kitchen, there was Marta, our bride, in her pajamas, standing in front of the stove, cooking pancakes, which she had made from scratch. Rosa and Enriche were happily eating their pancakes with maple syrup, so I joined them.  Marta asked me to bring more maple syrup next November when I return.  We're such an international family!

Primo and Marina were attending early mass I assumed.

Rosa and I left the house at 9 and arrived at the jeweler's at 9:20.  There wasn't a light on inside. I started to worry, so I decided it was best to walk around and take pictures.

On a side street, I discovered a wonderful large palazzo with a plaque stating Garibaldi had stayed here as a guest. I knew Leo would be interested in this fact. Watching my time, I moved toward the front gates to take a few more photographs. When I saw it was approaching 9:30 I hurried back to Rosa and told her what I had seen. Well, Zia, you have just found the location of today's wedding reception! Brava!






We heard the church bells chiming 9.30. Rosa pressed the entry buzzer at the jeweler's and the doors clicked open to allow us entry. The rings were ready! The counter lady placed them on a mat for Rosa to inspect the engravings. They are simple rings, identical except in size. I immediately realize, Marta will wear this ring on her left hand and switch the diamond engagement ring to her right hand.

The lady placed the rings together in a small box and then wrapped the box in golden paper and ribbon. Rosa and I raced home and placed the package on the dining room table.

I left for a few minutes and when I came back, the box was on the table, but its pretty wrappings were strewn about. And there stood Marta, trying on her wedding ring.  She looked up at me and said: "Don't tell me it's bad luck to try it on! I just wanted to make sure about the size." I know when it's best to say nothing...but I did snap a picture. The look on her face is priceless.

I notice a big bouquet of long stemmed red roses. Marta tells me they arrived this morning and she wondered who had sent them. She opened the card and saw they were from Mario. This squeezed my romantic heart. What a loving, sweet, thoughtful gift for his bride.

Rosa had planned to take the car and go shopping at the big supermercato after our ring responsibilities were done, but Marina absolutely was adamant that we not go far. Instead we walked to the big COOP supermarket and spent an hour shopping and looking. My second suitcase, which was empty three days ago, is now almost to its weight limit of 50 pounds. I must remember I left a bag of grocery items at my hotel in Firenze! No more shopping...as much as I want to take everything I see home.

At 10.45, Enriche was soaking her feet on the balcony. Marina asked me to walk to the church and await the flower delivery, scheduled for 11.00. Besides bringing flowers for the ceremony, the florist is also bringing roses for Marta's hair. I told Rosa I was leaving. I'm concerned because she and I have our hair appointments at noon and we need to drive there.

I arrived at the church and walked right in the front doors and headed for the altar. There were no wedding flowers but I did encounter the elderly caretaker, whom I had seen the night before. Unfortunately, she did not remember me nor trust me. She indicated I should wait outside. 

At 11.20 the florist arrived and gave me a tiny light weight package of rosebuds, without a moment of hesitation.

I walked home as fast as I could.
Rosa and I made it to our hair appointment at noon had our hair washed and styled. The moment we left the salon it began to rain. We returned home, passing Marta and Marina, who had taken another car to the same salon. At home, I was happy to see Marta's honeymoon bags packed and near the front door.

Selected guests began arriving at the house around 3:30.  One couple brought Marta her bridal bouquet, just has they had done last year for Rosa.  I placed it in a vase for safekeeping.

Suddenly, Marta, wearing a simple tank top and skirt, came out to great her guests. With a big 'pop,' Primo opened a bottle of champagne. I saw pastries, but I'm not sure how many were eaten.  I began to have camera issues.  Everyone seemed to be in constant motion and my pictures were mostly blurry. 
As I watched the clock tick to 4:10, I began to think I had misunderstood the time of the weddding ceremony.  The guests were still milling about and the bride was loving every minute.  Then, in masse, everyone was gone!  Rosa and Marina helped Marta into her dress.  A few quick adjustments and we were out the door.  I went first, hoping to catch a few pictures.

Zio's car was waiting outside the gate and Primo assisted Marta into the car.  I know we all missed seeing Nonno.  Last year for Rosa's wedding, with his happy smile, he had been seated in the front passenger seat.  This year he is too ill to travel.

Rosa, Marina and I quickly walked to the church.  I took my spot on the left side, sitting in the pew behind MarinaMarina asked me to adjust Marta's dress, if necessary, as it would be unseemly for her to do this.

We sat and waited for the music to announce Marta's entrance. Mario was standing just a little nervously, at the altar, his eyes watching for Marta. Suddenly, he stood a little taller,  a smile lighting his face, as Marta began her walk and approached him, on Primo's arm.  She looked like a fairy princess.  The gown suited her perfectly.  Mario watched her in astonishment. I remember hearing violin music. 

 

After the ceremony was performed, Marta left her bouquet on the wedding bench and with Mario, the three testimoni, met the priest at a table to the left of the altar. The marriage documents were signed and witnessed. Rosa and Enriche were Marta's testimoni (witnesses).  The bride and groom returned to their places for a few more minutes.  I noticed most of the wedding guests left the church to wait outside.  I followed them out.

I saw a woman with a gigantic commercial size bag of rice dispensing rice by the handfuls to any willing guest.  When the happy husband and wife exited the church they were plummeted with rice.

After a perhaps 10 minutes of congratuatory messages and picture taking, they were wisked away in Zio's Mercedes to the reception. We guests, began to make the 20 minute walk. Suddenly I realized!  It hadn't rained. We had totally forgotten about the threat of rain. I didn't see one umbrella and not even the bride had brought one.









~~~~***~~~~***~~~~***~~~~***~~~~

The Reception

As we approached the palazzo I was able to catch a picture of Marta and Mario, walking just ahead of us. I could see rice, still in her hair.



We entered into the courtyard and then directly into the banquet rooms.



The first room contained a large table with a floral display.



In the second and third rooms, many tables awaited the guests.



We ate so many appetizers.  I had to stop, knowing the next course was coming.



The next course:  Risotto with fresh basil and tomatoes


And later, wedding cake


Other desserts



Marta threw her bouquet.


Under this ceiling the bride and groom thanked each guest as each departed the reception, about 10 pm.


Guests took these remembrances home.


We left the bride, groom and their testimoni having a quiet cappucino. I walked home with Rosa and Mattia. Around 11, the Marta and Mario arrived.  Marta headed straight to wash her hair, which was stiff with hair spray and rice.


At 11.30 we said our goodbyes and the newlyweds left for their apartment.

They caught an early train to Milano, where their honeymoon flight to Barcelona departed at 7 am.


1 comment:

  1. I loved all the descriptions. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete