Monday, June 14, 2010

May in Italy (Tuesday) on the train to Milano

With two bags, I'm on the 8.30 am train to Milano. There are 3 older men and one young priest in my assigned compartment, which has room for six people.  There are two seats available near the door. I claimed one seat and then pulled my two bags in, not wanting to leave them out in the aisle. I know from past experience, they tend to topple over as the train rounds bends. So, I was seated at the outside edge, with the two bags wedged in front of my knees. In this position, it is easy to move a bag out if anyone needs to leave. I stay attentive to not cause any issues.

Definitely, first class is not as friendly as second. The priest is fidgety and hasn't stopped moving since he joined us. He has two books stacked between us: the Holy Bible and 'History of the Church.' Two businessmen are doing paperwork. A third man, looks out the window. With his leather jacket, aviator glasses, bronzed skin and chewing gum, he looks like a playboy or fashion designer. I notice he's wearing a yellow plastic watch. Perhaps a mafia tough guy. The man across from me opens his briefcase and I can read some of his papers. He is a law professor.

I need to ask Mattia about the priest's attire. Perhaps he's just in the beginning stages of his studies. He's reading the Bible, and has two little cards propped up at the side of the book cover. They depict martyred saints, blood dripping off their bodies. After a few minutes, he pulls up the history book. He opens to page one...he reads the Introduction and a part of Chapter 1. He steps into the corridor with his cell phone. He must be Florentine. I can understand everything he says. 'Alessandra, I'm on my way to Milano. Can I stop by to see you?'

His robes look hot and uncomfortable. They're polyester! He's wearing a long white cassock with a full length blue bib, front and back. Underneath, I can see a normal yellow-striped dress shirt peeking out. On his feet are sandals with velcro fastenings. No socks. His finger nails look normal but his toe nails look chewed all the way back. There's a white waist rope which he keeps tugging at, adjusting back and forth.

Two gypsy beggars just came through. The first, a young man, had deposited on an empty seat of each compartment, little typed notes in Italian, asking for money. The conductor came through with a 'tsk tsk' sound but he let the him accept a handful of coins from the priest. The beggar took the money but looked startled when the priest grabbed his hand, holding on, and saying: "You be good!"

The gesture didn't remind me of St. Francis ...This guy is a little too enthusiastic. I watched as the conductor herded the teenager to the end of the car. He let him retrieve all the typed notes. I thought the conductor was so much more sincere in his actions than the priest. I heard him say, not in a mean way: "You again! You need to get off the train at the next stop."

Next a nicely dressed young gypsy girl came through our car. She was not wearing the traditional long skirt. She was well groomed with her clean hair pulled into a cute pony tail. I watched as she peeked into each compartment and asked a question. She got a big surprise as she leaned into the compartment next to ours. We all heard screaming. "Police police, come and take this creature away. Arrest her!"

At that point, a wild haired middle aged aristocratic woman chased the scared girl right past me. She wore expensive clothes and a long soft suede coat. Her nicely cut blond hair was unkempt and flowing out from her face. Obviously this woman suffered from a mental illness.

I mouthed 'poverina" (poor thing) to the professor. He shook his head in agreement.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment