Saturday, June 5, 2010

May in Italy (Saturday)

I've just returned from a quick May trip to Italy for Marta's wedding. In addition, Leo and I were able to spend a whole five hours together.

It's always hard to return to my life here. But, I came back this time with an even stronger resolve to keep following my dream.

When I arrived in Italy I was quite surprised to find myself overweight. Amazing how we can fool ourselves into seeing, not seeing, believing and not believing the things that hurt us the most.

I always seem to wake up my authentic self the moment the plane doors open and I descend the stairs onto the Italian terra.

Just before leaving for Italy, I had read my friend Mia's thoughts on finding one's authentic self. She wrote a scholarship article on her unexpected discovery of a fashion design exhibition in Rome.

"A glossy poster jumped out against the grimy, graffiti-ridden wall of the train station. Stopping and staring, I could not have been more stunned as it announced "VALENTINO A ROMA: 45 years." Remaining gaping at the sign a bit longer, with an expression mixed of utter shock and complete elation I gasped suddenly realizing what this impeccable timing meant. Here in Rome both Valentino's most celebrated compilation of his every collection and I, were about to meet in an unexpected and fortuitous event. My Italian adventure was ending. Rome had initially seemed enormous and overwhelming upon arrival, but the city quickly shrank as I became familiar with its every secret. No famous monument was left unlooked upon, no single street was forgotten, and no shop window was left waiting to be admired. Unintentionally, I had reenacted the eternal classic and a personal favorite, "Roman Holiday." Just as Princess Ann was forced to end her Roman fairytale, I was about to part as well."

While exploring that show, Mia’s goals and dreams snapped into place. Click to read the whole article! Mia's Roman Holiday

I flew with Swiss Air for the first time. I noticed a difference right away at LAX. The passengers were not the usual crowd I fly with on Air France. Missing was the pushing, rather aggressive boarding at LAX.

As my flight prepared to land in Zurich, we were presented with two special treats. First an attendant gave us each a warm moist washcloth. I placed it on my face and it felt so freshing. Next a stewardess carried a large basket of Swiss chocolates through the cabin. I wanted to scoop my hands into that treasure chest. She gave me a single bar. Delicious!

The calm, quiet, refined attitude followed us right through the Zurich Airport. There were no lines at Customs or Security. The airport is quite a bit smaller than Charles de Gaulle in Paris. This made the transfer very easy. I didn't take time for a stop to buy chocolates. I decided to do that on the trip back to LAX.

There's a small electric train which transports transfers between terminals E (International) and A (Domestic). Unlike Firenze, there were no shops at the boarding gate. Just two automated candy and beverage machines. Sigh, too late to change my mind and buy chocolates.

When we deplaned in Firenze and the terminal doors opened, I was amazed to see hundreds of people packed inside. At least three planeloads of tourists were chattering in other languages as they waited for their luggage to arrive on the single carousel.

I made my normal dash for the two stall bathroom, which I found to be unoccupied. I knew then for certain, these were first time visitors. I also guessed the taxi system outside would probably be overwhelmed. The airport at Firenze is a tiny but charming facility. It was upgraded but not enlarged last year.

When I had my two big bags and two carry-ons in hand and exited the building, I was not surprised to see a long line of people waiting for taxis. There was not a taxi in sight and it was 5 pm.

I saw the big blue SITA bus was in its normal location. I made a slow motion dash for it, stowed my two suitcases in the belly of the bus and climbed on board. I paid five Euro for the 20 minute ride to the Santa Maria Novella (SMN) train station. I texted Leo I had arrived and received his greeting immediately.

I was not expecting, nor did I find an available taxi at Santa Maria Novella. Again I found a long line of tourists waiting for taxis, which were not present in the normal queue.

It’s an easy quick 10 minute 'local' stroll to Hotel Cestelli and I needed to stretch my legs. I quickly unzipped my luggage on the sidewalk and stowed a carry-on bag in each case. My bags are always heavy but not "full." It was a pleasant, easy walk and provided the transition time I always enjoy. Welcome back to Firenze...

I rang the entry bell at the hotel and pushed open the outside doors at the click of the lock release. It was Saturday evening and I knew I would not hear Alessio's steps descending the stairs to help me with the bags.

I pulled out my back mover's brace and adjusted it tightly around my waist. I began to ascend the three flights of stairs. Sure enough about half way up, Alessio's mother appeared, distressed to see me pulling one of my heavy bags.

She recognized me and I greeted her in Italian. .. "Buona sera signora!! Non preoccupare. Sono forte. Per favore non preoccupare." (Good evening madam. Don’t worry! I’m strong. Please, don’t worry.)

With the two bags in the hotel's entry hall, la Signora gave me my keys. Entering my favorite room, I was greeted by a ribboned gift of pasta and jam from Alessio and Asumi, the married hosts of my favorite place to stay in Firenze. I've been coming here since before they took ownership and we have now become friends. They're always available to give me emotional support before and after I see Leo.

I pulled out the fresh corn tortillas, longhorn cheese and See's candy I always bring to them. I was too rushed to unpack and find the cans of Herdez salsa. They love Mexican food, having lived in San Diego for five years. I asked Alessio's mother to put it all in the refrigerator.

Within 15 minutes I had showered, changed clothes and was back outside, tucking my hotel night keys into a safe pocket in my purse. I immediately went to my favorite Trattoria Le Antiche Carrozze, located just a few steps from the hotel and across from Ferragamo. I ordered ricotta spinachi ravioli with ragu meat sauce.

My Italian phone is always ready to use immediately upon arrival. Each trip, before departing, I apply 20 Euro worth of time to the phone. I called Rosa, Marta's sister, to let her know I had arrived. I told her I would buy my train tickets tomorrow for Cremona, but tonight, I planned to sleep for a full twelve hours.


The dinner was hearty and delicious.

With a full stomach and feeling relaxed, I paid my bill and started walking toward Edison Libreria (bookstore), which is always open until midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment