Sunday, June 13, 2010

May in Italy (Monday)

Today, I was dressed and out the door at 9 am, after a breakfast of pineapple yogurt, a pear and bread. The yogurt was on my window ledge all night and was still chilled this morning.

I'm leaving Firenze early tomorrow and I have a shopping list I really need to finish.

First, I entered a Negozio Casalinga, a place which sells soap and household items, to pick up a meshed laundry bag.

In the past, I've bought wooden spoons made of olive wood, shoe polish, kitchen tools and cute milk pitchers here. This time, I'm looking for a milk frother, necessary for making a cappuccino. None of them were marked 'Made in Italy." I managed to touch every single unit, trying to find an Italian one. I will not buy a Chinese item.

After I moved away from the shelf, the shopkeeper quietly went over and re-arranged the display. They tolerate tourists touching the merchandise here in Firenze, but in Cremona, my behavior would have warranted a stern scolding.

At the Negozio di Ferramenta or hardware store, I picked out two sets of brass hooks.

Hardware stores in Italy are setup exactly like an American auto-parts store. When one wants to purchase something, the counterman brings the item out from the back stockroom.

The store window is filled with a display of some items, but this place is not setup for browsing. Leo and I have shopped here together, so I feel confident. I was once told it is not polite to enter, unless you have plans to purchase.

I walked on to the Santa Maria Novella (SMN) train station to buy round trip biglietti (tickets) to Cremona. After seeing a line of 50 people at the ticket windows, I decided to try my luck using an automated ticket dispenser. One can use cash or credit card. It worked out better than I expected. For my return trip I've selected the Cremona-Pisa-Firenze route, since I need to arrive early next Monday to see Leo in the afternoon at 3 pm.

This is my first trip in season and what a change. There are tourists everywhere.

With my purchases stowed away, I entered the church of Santa Maria Novella. I love the green stripes on the outside facade.

I had a nice tour, using headsets one can rent, leaving my driver's license as security.

Here, during the period of 1485-1490, fourteen year old Michelangelo Buonarroti was an apprentice painter under Domenico Ghirlandaio.

I have just discovered Ghirlandaio was buried in a crypt, which is now unmarked, on the outside front wall of the church.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelangelo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domenico_Ghirlandaio

I specifically returned to SMN to purchase a guidebook and study the frescoes in the Cappella Tornabuoni. Many members of the Tornabuoni family are painted as if they had viewed and participated in holy events.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornabuoni_Chapel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Trinity_(Masaccio)

It was an added treat to see The Holy Trinity by Masaccio, which showed off his stunning new ideas about perspective and mathematical proportions. It was interesting to read this fresco had been removed from another wall and relocated to this original position. I need to research how this is done.


Still on schedule, I headed toward the Mercato Vecchio, the old central market to buy spices for gifts.

Along the way I purchased more DVDs to have some new movies at home.

Outside Mercato Vecchio, I saw a trippa stand named 'Trippa a Modo Mio' (Tripe, My Way).

I paid 3E for a trippa panino (sandwich) to go. I noticed a sign on the counter: "Do not ask me to cut the sandwich in half!" The sign might have been geared toward the tourist trade, but it was not written in English.

It was just 1 o'clock. I took my treasures back to my hotel room, to enjoy my lunch while reading a favorite cooking magazine "Alice."  http://www.alice.tv/

I headed out at 2 to meet Leo at 3. Racing along, I picked up several scarves and four wooden Pinocchio dolls.

My shopping in Firenze was complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment