Sunday, August 29, 2010

Leo and I -- Have we each sought refuge in another culture?

Leo has been discharged to home and has been concerned about remaining totally calm and without stress. He has firmly set his mind to not think about anything relating to his illness or the implications it has had on his life.

He had a scary anxiety attack yesterday. The doctor explained to him that these attacks can happen, even if you think you have the situation under control. The medicine the doctor gave Leo, knocked him out and he slept all day.

I believe that in Leo's life, he has dealt with stress in ways, not available to him now: working obsessively, avoidance and occasionally living a different life with me, in another culture.
This cultural freedom, along with a true love for each other, allowed us both to create a safe place where love thrived. We worked hard on communication skills and balancing work with fun.

When Leo called today to relate the attack of yesterday, I thought to myself, “I know why this happened.”

I only offered the broadest advice:  "Just because you are telling yourself to be stress free, your subconscious is still pondering stressful thoughts."

Isn’t it human nature to think we can see so clearly the cause of other peoples issues and how quickly we offer solutions to them?

But then I looked at my own last night, packed full of nightmares, paralleling Leo’s panic attack.

Today I researched panic attacks. I see a similarity between what Leo is experiencing and my own nightmares: An inability to effectively deal with an issue.

I found a great website: http://www.thisisawar.com/DepressionAnxiety.htm


I like this quote:

“Anxiety disorders are not caused by a medical condition. Most are a result of repressed ulterior issues and angst, so learn to understand yourself....”

`````*`````*`````*`````*

I need to deal with my own stress more effectively and take this advice myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment