Monday, November 29, 2010

Saturday, Cremona ( Piacenza)

Today Rosa needed to attend day two of a course from 9-1 in Piacenza. Mattia, Rosa and I left the house at 8.15am to arrive there at 8.45. During the drive on the A31 autostrada, I noticed snow capped mountains in the distance, on both sides of the highway. Alps to the right and the Appenines to the left. We zipped right through the Telepass checkpoint with a transponder similar to the one I have in my car in California.

We dropped Rosa off and headed toward the shopping mall, which has free parking on weekends. I've been to this small two story indoor center before. It's located right next to the Piacenza train station.

Since I had no train ticket for my Monday trip back to Firenze, Mattia and I parked first, then walked to the station. We stood in one of two long ticket purchasing lines. Suddenly, while we were just four people from the front of the line, the ticket agent put up his 'closed' sign. Except for a persistent woman standing in the second spot, the line dissolved as everyone moved to the second line. I politely kept my culture in check but I heard Mattia murmur 'it's not fair'.

A few moments later a new ticket window opened and again, everyone repositioned. After buying my ticket for Monday, Mattia and I had fun practicing his English in the mall supermarket. He's picked up quite a lot English since I first met him. His interest in American comic books has given him an interesting way to study, in the same way I use cook books and films for learning. I'm in my element in the grocery store. We filled up his small notebook with new words.

In the school supplies aisle, I again looked for index cards. They do not seem to be available nor used in Italy. I need to bring some to Marta for her classroom. She loves the idea of flash cards.

Mattia recalled I had used the word 'spooky' several days ago. This study of language is amazing and one never knows in what direction a conversation might go. Mattia and I had a fun, laughing discussion on the word groovy. We turned on my iPhone and found this great song on You Tube and studied it.

----------
CLASSICS IV

In the cool of the evening
When everything is gettin kind of groovy
I call you up
And ask you if you want to go with me and see a movie
First you say no, you've got some plans for the night
And then you stop, and say, all right
Love is kinda crazy with a spooky little girl like you
--------
For my studies, this trip I have bought four audio books plus their printed version. Books on tapes are not widely available in Italy. I was very pleased to find some contemporary Italian literature in audio format. I want to increase my vocabulary, improve my accent and pronunciation.

By Andrea Camilleri:  Il nipote del Negus
By Andrea Camilleri:  La Luna di Carta
By Gianrico Carofiglio:  Ad Occhi Chiusi
By Moony Witcher:  La bambina della Sesta Luna

Non audio:
By Alessandro Genovesi:  Happy Family
By Andrea Camilleri:  La Scomparsa di Pato
By Helena Frith Powell:  Ciao Bella

Mattia and I continued our exchange of new words, as we strolled through the mall, window shopping. We paused outside a Romanian ethnic shop. I wanted a picture but he told me photographs are prohibited by mall security. This small market had a low counter containing meats and cheeses. On the far left wall of the shop, Romanian goods were shelved, as in any market. We observed it was impossible for potential customers to reach or touch any items due to a barrier created by a single small freezer (also inaccessible) and a saw horse. The shop was empty, except for two very stern looking counter women. Mattia said, 'They must know their customers very well.'

We passed a pastry shop.  These window displays always make me want to go in and buy one of everything.


We walked a few blocks to Piazza Cavalli where we found a crowded outdoor 'mercato' taking place. Mattia wanted to test his new camera today, but he told me his hands were too cold.


I took pictures of the Basilica of San Francesco and some interesting facial expressions on the sculptures.









Later that afternoon, Rosa and I researched the differences between a Basilica, a Duomo, a Cathedral and a church.  We also discovered information about holy doors. More later when I have time to translate it.

After a late lunch, Rosa took me along while she did her weekly shopping at the CremonaDue supermercato, I walked up and down every aisle. I bought my usual: Perugia powdered chocolate and two big 9 packs of KitKat candy (made with Swiss chocolate).

At home, Marta surprised me with a gift from her and Rosa! The newest cookbook by Benedetta Parodi.!



In the evening, with Mario driving, the five of us went out for pizza. I turned on my iPhone and used the check-in. Very cool!

The pizzas were huge but with thin crust and cooked in a wood burning brick oven. Wonderful! We had no room for dessert but I did peek to another table and saw pan-cotta drizzled with chocolate sauce.


I was the only one to carry a doggy bag home.

No comments:

Post a Comment